Dual vs single sub

Sorry Im sure this is all over the forums but I only found old articles. Situation. I have Two SVS 3000s that arent really doing it for me. Thinking of trading it in on the Big one and adding another in a year or so. Any thoughts on Big single vs 2 Medium?
128x128bryantdrew
The idea of 4 subs is the correct one. In case its not clear, the problem is standing waves and this is not easily corrected by room treatment if it can be treated at all.

But its easy to treat with 4 subs. Just do what Duke mentions above. He's a modest individual and didn't mention that he makes some of the best subs out there- the Swarm, which comes in sets of 4. Two of them are placed asymmetrically in the room and it is this placement that breaks up standing waves, allowing you to hear all the bass notes at the listening chair.
Yes four subs is the way to go. Which is why I am going that way. Frustratingly close to being done and able to offer first hand opinion! But I know it works. Or I wouldn't be doing it.

One question concerning 4 subs-
How are they connected to the amp?
Stacked spades/bananas?
Seems like a lot of hardware to me.
B

"One question concerning 4 subs - How are they connected to the amp?"

The amp I supply with the Swarm is the Dayton Audio SA-1000, part number 300-811 at Parts Express.

It has a single channel of amplification but two sets of output binding posts wired in parallel.

The subs are connected in series-parallel, such that the four 4-ohm subs present the amp with a 4 ohm load.

Two subs are connected in series (via binding posts on the bottom), forming a two-sub "series string". Then the other two are also connectged in series, forming a second two-sub "series string". Then the two "series strings" are each connected to one of the sets of binding posts on the back of the amp, which puts them in parallel with one another.

Going into a bit more detail, the first sub in each "series string" has two sets of binding posts. One set is connected to the amp, and the other set is connected to the second sub in the "string", which only has one set of binding posts.

So you’d need four sets of speaker wire: Two sets go between the amp and each "first" sub of a "series string", and the other two sets of speaker wire go between the "first" and "second" subs of each "series string".

Some people use two amplifiers, typically one for each series-wired string, for a bit more flexibility.

"Stacked spades/bananas?  Seems like a lot of hardware to me."

No stacked spades or stacked bananas.

I guess it’s a lot of speaker wire. Unless the runs are really long, sixteen gauge wire works just fine. You end up with the equivalent of thirteen gauge wire because of the series-parallel topology.

Duke

millercarbon,

Yes, you'll be amazed just how well it works.  Have you given any thought about positioning your 4 subs in your room?  If not, I can detail the process I used that worked out very well. 

Let me know,
    Tim