Looking for my first DAC

I have mostly equipment from the eighties with the exception of an OPPO BDP-93.  My Preamp is an ARC SP9-MKII and it's feeding some Acoustat model X's.  I'm leaning toward a Schiit Bifrost Multibit Gen 5, with their 15 day trial period, so I can at listen to it and return if I don't like it.  I have no way of listening to anything without a long drive and most probably a hotel stay, so I'm looking for your vast experience on the DAC's. Price range under $1000. 

Thoughts??

JD
128x128curiousjim
So I called Shiit. The answering system says say your name and they would connect you to the proper place. Scratching my head I said Jim and the went it a multi level answering service that led me to email address after email address. Never did talk to a live person!
So I left an email asking about purchasing the Bifrost Multibit or the  Gungnir Multibit.
That was Tuesday and I’m still waiting for a response! 
So his afternoon I called Crutchfield and after thirty seconds I was talking with someone.  We talked about my needs and the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 and some other products.  When all was said and done I bought the Pro-Ject. With 60 days to listen, I’ll have plenty of time to make up my mind.  I really wanted to do an A/B with a Schiit product, but I guess it will have to wait until they answer my email.  So far I am not impressed with their customer service.

JD
Wouldn’t you know it, an hour and a half after my rant, I got a reply from Schiit telling me either would be good choices. Still want to A/B them but I hate how impersonal their whole setup is.

Maybe the walls have ears!

LOL

JD
If your leaning to Schiit Bifrost Multibit Gen5
go to next level Shiit Gungnir Multibit Gen5.
thats the one I’m seriously thinking about
happy listening and enjoy the music.
The Gungnir is well over the OP's stated budget.

The thing with Schiit is, marketing, advertising and customer service all cost serious money that then HAS TO be added to the cost of each unit they sell.  They can charge much less than competitors because of this.  Although being that they are made in the US, costs of production would be more expensive than China.

As an aside, China has now stopped all canola shipments from Canada(my country) because their main cell phone manufacturer CEO was arrested in Canada and is being held for the USA for breaking laws WRT business with Iran.  China has started leaning on smaller countries like Australia, Canada, etc, and of course the US.  I'm starting to rethink buying China made goods when I can.  Everyone has to make their own choice on this.

Anyway, I've owned the Modi, Bifrost and now Gungnir, all in the multibit design.  They are excellent dacs at their price points.  I would suggest that the Gungnir's detail retrieval may be glossed over by inferior budget gear that can't reproduce it.  

I had the Bifrost for about 2 years, and I could have stayed there, but upgraded the preamp and speakers and thought I'd try it out.  The multibits do need to stay on for best performance.

The ifi micro BL should be in that price range. I haven't tried it but ifi products are usually liked by people who try them. I have the nano and think that sounds good for its price.

https://ifi-audio.com/products/micro-idsd-bl/

Chord Mojo is also often mentioned.