Dual vs single sub

Sorry Im sure this is all over the forums but I only found old articles. Situation. I have Two SVS 3000s that arent really doing it for me. Thinking of trading it in on the Big one and adding another in a year or so. Any thoughts on Big single vs 2 Medium?
128x128bryantdrew
I have (4) JL Audio F-113 subs with my 2 channel.  You can never have too much subs. The problem is that you don't want to have so much bass that it drowns the mids. That being stated, I have a DEQX unit that can dial in the subs to work well with the mains. 

BTW, when I use my Hometheater equipment there are 4 more subs added to the 2 channel set up.

ozzy
@don_c55  

You almost never get stereo bass unless your room is very dead and you crossover high. I have a single sub crossed at 80Hz that’s decently far from my speakers, and in my wooden-floor open floorplan with no treatment other than a rug, I almost never hear where it’s coming from.  

@bryantdrew  

I would say dual Rythmik F15HP, dual bundle brings it to <$2400, they are very “musical” and are +/-3dB down to 10Hz! I mean, if you have money to blow there is also their F18 :).

I think Noble is on the right path here. Look at the difference between the radiation patterns of point source and linear arrays. The trick is in creating a linear array woofer. If two drivers are closer than 1/2 the wavelength of the highest frequency they are to reproduce they will act acoustically as one driver. The wavelength of 100 Hz is around 10 feet. So, if you space subwoofer drivers 5 feet apart they they will act as one driver up to 100 Hz. Say you have a 15 foot wall. Space 4 subwoofers at 5 foot intervals along that wall the outside two being right in the corners. The other two in the center should be pointed at each other with the drivers as close to the wall as you can get them. What you have created is a horizontal linear array subwoofer which minimizes room modes and reflections and takes full advantage of intersection gain. 12" drivers are way more than enough. Many will do fine with 10" drivers. 

mijostyn wrote: "I think Noble is on the right path here..."

And I think you’re on the right path too. Your idea for spacing four subwoofers along the front wall will greatly improve their interaction with that end of the room.

But here’s the thing: The rest of the room matters just as much. Here’s why:

Unless you have a very large room, by the time you even BEGIN to hear the bass energy, reflections off the rest of the room’s boundaries are fully in play. So Noble’s approach of modal smoothing throughout the room is imo better aligned with known psychoacoustic principles.

That being said, once you have four subs, there are a LOT of different things you can try.  See the writings of Earl Geddes and Todd Welti. 

Duke