Dual vs single sub

Sorry Im sure this is all over the forums but I only found old articles. Situation. I have Two SVS 3000s that arent really doing it for me. Thinking of trading it in on the Big one and adding another in a year or so. Any thoughts on Big single vs 2 Medium?
128x128bryantdrew
bryantdrew,

I agree with millercarbon that you'll have much better results adding 3 to have the magic 4 subs in any given room that almost magically provides state of the art perceived bass response in virtually any room.  
     Of course, it only seems like magic once you actually experience the amazing transformation in bass performance in your room when you utilize 4 subs properly positioned in your room rather than 1,2 or 3 subs.  It is actually the opposite of magic since it is all based on the rigors of scientific experimentation, documented results, peer review and the experimental results have been verified independently numerous times by other scientists.
     This proven concept is called a Distributed Bass Array (DBA) system  and it consists of 4 subs strategically positioned in any given room that scientifically (not magically) provides state of the art perceived bass response throughout the entire room and not just at a specific sweet spot.
     I don't know the size of your room, bryantdrew, so I'm not suggesting you deploy 4 large SVS 3000 subs in a DBA system unless your room is huge and you're OK with weakening the structure of your home.  You could attain all the benefits of a custom DBA system in your room by just adding 2 smaller subs of your choice to the 2 larger subs you already have.  
     This concept works so well due to there being at least 4 distributed points (subs) in the room launching bass sound waves into the room.  These 4 subs are actually creating more bass modes in the room (spots where the bass is perceived as exaggerated, attenuated or even absent) but, due to the way our brain processes multiple deep bass sound waves, we perceive the bass in total as smooth and articulate.
      When I setup and listened to my Audio Kinesis Debra 4 sub DBA system in my 23x16 ft. room and initially heard the excellent bass produced, my first thoughts were that it actually did seem like magic how the bass performance in my room/system had been transformed so dramatically.  I know it's all scientifically based but experiencing what I consider sota bass in my room, on my system and on my music still seems magical to me.

Tim 

bryantdrew,

I'd suggest you state a few more details for best responses:

What's the size of your room?
Are there any irregularities or restrictions in your room?
Carpet or hard floor?
Is your system used just for music, ht or for both?
What does your current system, besides the 2 SVS subs, consist of?
What's your budget?

Thanks,
  Tim

Big single. Providing its better of course ie faster, more responsive, gets under 30Hz comfortably etc. Always liked this quote found on the REL website,

The great race car designer, Colin Chapman of Lotus was once quoted as saying “To go faster, first add lightness.” Words to live by.

https://rel.net/not-all-cones-are-created-equal/

Post removed