Kids during audition - aaaaagh!!

It used to bother me a lot when I would try to demo my system for someone and all they wanted to do was talk during the music. I get it - not everyone is an auditory person. But I still found it off putting and a bit depressing. Like if you took them for a ride on a windy mountain road in your Ferrari and all they noticed was the nice leather.

But FAR WORSE than that is when you're trying to demo your system for someone and they bring their kids. It happened to me last summer, and again tonight. In both cases it could not be helped but it totally destroys the listening experience to have a 6 year dancing around in front of the speakers while the 2 year old sings along with Rebecca Pidgeon.  The listener is denied the chance of the listening experience that we all know and love. I found it actually painful, emotionally. A lost opportunity for a new person to be swept away by the musical experience that comes from a high end system. I guess this time it's like they strapped their screaming kids into child car seats in the Ferrari and only let you drive in the small parking lot. Why bother? And no, I don't have a Ferrari. But yes, with no local audiophile friends to appreciate it, I do yearn to at least share the experience with someone who's never heard good sound.

One other note. Isn't it funny that non-audiophiles often assume that you're going to blast their head off by playing Metallica with the volume set to 11?
bob5560g
Lots of people don't understand a $50 bottle of wine either. Just stop expecting other people to understand your appreciation of your system.
I can understand the disappointment. I worked in a hi-fi shop, selling. In my free time, I took stuff home from the store to personally audition as I had (by far) the best audio system amongst my co-workers. I wasn’t really cut out for selling hi-fi, as I couldn’t understand why someone needed persuasion to want what was on offer. Meridian, McIntosh, Mangepan, or a Magnavox home theater in a box. The customers were able to comfortably afford the good stuff, but were almost never moved by quality as much as they were moved by price. They had nice things that were good for showing up the Jones's, but audio required too much effort to show off.
In my house, it's more of a social event than a "listening session".  I think it's hard to get people into critical listening as a first step.  In my room, there's a listening area with a selection of albums, and nearby is a pool table, fireplace and bar area.  The music is in the background, although usually loud enough to make you talk a little louder.  

In that context, I notice that people first are talking and chatting, and then there is a point where they tilt their head and start to listen a little closer.  Eventually a few will go have a seat in the listening area for a bit.  Over there, they will find a few magazines to entertain them while listening, as well as a book with the record listings, so they can choose the next title.  

Maybe it's the liquid sound enhancer, or maybe they are ready for a little break in the conversation, or they lost at the pool table.  But, I think it's mostly that they aren't "forced" to sit and listen when they really want to chat for a while.
I work in a building of about 60 highly technical aerospace engineers, and I've always been so disheartened by the total lack of interest in musical fidelity.  Many of them are really into music, but have zero opinion about how it sounds.  And it's not that they are intimidated by the technology of audio.  Nor is it a lack of funds for many of them.  Sadly, my two best friends at work who do appreciate audio, are both married with kids, but their WIVES don't care about audio!  I feel lucky to be married, no kids, and my wife loves loud, full range music!!    

I've been in this same situation as the OP - with similar frustration and incomprehension. And I wonder of this is an accurate analogy?
- What if a friend invited me over to see her newly acquired projector, made by Technology Company Z, with simply 12K resolution, organic LED, organic NGMO presentation, and holographic capability with properly installed RealStroke (TM) goggles? Like, I would head over out of friendship and I would pay attention as she played various clips and scenes, demonstrating the projector's powers. And I might even be lucky enough to want to see a whole movie, but in the end I really won't care -- a screen's a screen to me, whether it be the aforementioned  tech marvel, or a 13" black and white with a coathanger antenna I had in the 80's.

I imagine the same can be said for most non-audiophiles out there. Music is mostly just music: background soundtracks to the days of their lives with the occasional private moment, though that's usually in their car.

Now - would I bring my children over and have them run everywhere and flick lights on and off? No. But only because I know what's expected at a session. Or even that such a thing as a listening session exists.