Is There a Speaker for Me/Impossible Requirements? (budget: $2000)

Well, I just lost a very long and detailed post. Here’s my second shot:
After years in headphone purgatory I’m finally dipping a toe into ’real’ hifi. Turns out, its not as straightforward as I expected.
My equipment: 320-lossless files into a Moon i-5 in a 9 1/2 x 11 1/2’ room with 7’4" ceilings and a large rug. No issues or concerns regarding acoustics nor any interest in treating. Listen at 60-90 db for 3-8 hours a day- music is all over the map but a strong preference for neo-classical/ambient (Olafur Arnalds, Nils Frahm, Jonsi and Alex, etc), baroque/solo piano, fingerstyle guitar, and ’indie’ (whatever that means nowadays).

After reading a whole lot I purchased the following speakers based on my headphone preferences (HD650):
Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniv: VERY forward, VERY mid-centric, and not at all for me. They seem to have the veil people associate with the Senns, though I’ve never experienced it myself.
Spendor S3/5: These are much more interesting. Imaging is amazing- they do seem to disappear completely on certain tracks. However, the sound is rather unexciting. Perhaps this is closer to neutral but I find the speakers end up falling into the background and don’t really pull me in to the music. Tonally, the 3/5 seems very coherent though the lack of visceral bass is quite evident.
Spendor SP-1: The best of the bunch to my ears. The imaging is maybe a little behind the 3/5 but the sound seems much more balanced with more bass presence. On some songs they sound a bit U-shaped (maybe a little ’thin’ vs the ’non-present’ 3/5) and not quite as unified (lack of mids?) as the other Spendor.

My hope is to find a speaker I can keep for a long time that fits my listening space and music preferences. Given my experience where would you head from here:
A) Keep the SP-1s and spend more time placing them within my space/experimenting with stands and/or upstream gear?
B) Get a sub for the S3/5 and compare against the SP-1 again?
C) Try for another speaker altogether? If so, my max budget would be $2000 with a preference for value. I do have a pair of Meadowlark Kestrels on their way to me, but I haven’t heard them yet. Harbeth, Totem, ProAc, Vandersteen, Ohm, and Revel all sound interesting to me.
Grateful for any thoughts,
NM
joincoolkidclub
Look up the KC IIs on the Emerald Physics www.  I think you will be excited . Recently I made several WireWorld wire and cable upgrades, which took the KCIIs to an even higher level of enjoyment

I owned Magnepan 3.5Rs (separate true ribbons) the KCIIs do it for me at less than half the physical size. If you're anywhere near Ft Lauderdale, you're welcome to hear them 
Another thing you could try is to listen nearfield.  I've found that I prefer nearfield for speakers with higher order crossovers and smaller drivers.  The closer you are, the more direct sound you're getting as opposed to room reflections.  You'll also get more punch up close.  
@tweak1 Unfortunately that would be a bit of a drive from up here in Maine, but I appreciate that generous offer. Might consider trying to visit salons in Boston or NYC at some point though it seems a bit disengenous as I would almost certainly leave and try to find what I liked on here or eBay....

@jon_5912 There seems to be a lot of discrepancy in what constitutes nearfield. I had been listening at distances of ~4-5’ though have moved the smaller Spendors (3/5) downstairs and am now listening at a distance of 11 1/2’. 

If anyone one is following this thread: I’m starting to really warm up to the Spendor S3/5. They seem to work well at all levels where as the SP-1 really needs more power to open up. Listening to Joanna Newsom’s Ys in a larger space with the 3/5 at moderate levels (65-70 db) sounds pretty great. It sounds ‘right’- I stop thinking about the tone of the speakers, or their placement, and can enjoy this beautiful record. I’m a bit disappointed to think that my prev space (the one listed in my op) is inherently problematic. May end up using headphones in that room and using monitors elsewhere... Or one way/open baffle speakers up there to compensate for the lack of air....?? Too much to think about!
join

that's exactly why I got out of the biz. Got tired of educating,  demoing, putting on events,  only to have people shop for lowest price, but I think EPs are only sold direct

That aside, you can contact EP to see whether someone owns them in your area. You'll b glad you did, assuming they do. 

There are a number of excellent YT show reports which you can link to from EPs www 
@OP,
Vandy's sound good at just about any sound level.
Someone recommended the 1ci's. I would also recommend the VLR's.
I have them in my office, mounted near the ceiling (my desk is almost underneath them)with a pair of Hsu subs.
I find them very listenable.
Bob