Mapleshade Isolation: Does Nothing?

Okay guys. I built a Mapleshade-style isolation platform out of a 3” thick maple butcher block and Mapleshade footers (also Isoblocks). This was originally to isolate a SET amp, but after moving to solid state amps and trying to get into vinyl, I used it to try mounting a MoFi StudioDeck, figuring this would benefit the most from the Mapleshade-style isolation system.

Turntable -> Mapleshade Heavyfooters (3, not threaded) -> Butcher Block -> Mapleshade Iso Blocks -> Pangea audio rack (spiked through carpet).

When using headphones and turning up the gain on my preamp, I can clearly hear the sound of lightly dragging a fingernail across the butcher block. I can also clearly hear it when going across the rack shelf the butcher block in sitting on. So, the vibration is being transmitted up through the Iso blocks, through the butcher block, up through the Heavyfooters, up through Derlin platter, and into the needle.

Placing the turntable directly on the butcher block using its built-in spring loaded feet, vibrations are still transmitted but are much attenuated. So, this experiment leads me to believe that the Mapleshade system does JACK ALL. Am I doing something wrong that could lead to this result? Am I misunderstanding something basic about how this system is supposed to work?
madavid0
One of my family members had his dealer in his home to set up his new VPI turntable.First it was placed on a custom 3" thick maple board crafted by a local cabinet maker. Even with brass feet under both the board and table, vibration was evident and measurable.The dealer swapped in sorbathane feet and the vibration was almost completely eliminated.He's happy and not interested in further tweaking.That's what worked for him anyway:)
Ha bsimpson, funny story (except for the damage and ER).  I think the results of vibration control tweaks are highly gear dependent both within a catagory (e.g. between preamps) and across categories.  Undoubtedly, some gear has better designed and executed internal vibration control measures, and for them, big chunks of wood and brass footers are redundant or worse.  

For my turntable with internal suspension, the added value of the full Mapleshade set up is undeniable.  This might seem surprising since the footers and wood block are essentially draining vibration from the outer chassis while most of the business end is separated by internal springs.  But all the spike/wood solutions I have tried to date have had some effect on the sound of this table.  Perhaps the spring suspension has some resonace that is reduced or eliminated.  

In anycase, the benefits of the Mapleshade system are realized at all volume levels, indicating successful internal vibration control, and there is a big improvement in presence and clarity at high volumes, indicating some success at isolation.  For this old Thorens turntable and AT cartridge combination, on this shelf, in this listening room, I am totally sold.  Dramatic, dramatic improvement.
Like most tweaks,footers and platforms seem to be system dependent as knownothing says.The only butcher block I have tried was an antique that I discovered tucked away in a cabinet in our house.It's 12x12 made of 2 1/2" thick boards laid out horizontally .After it was cleaned and oiled it went under my tubed preamp.To my dismay it sounded horrible:( I like sand platforms myself.I do really like a spruce board under my speakers on top of the stands.I discovered that by accident when fiddling around with positioning,height,and various footers.Whatever resonance it's adding/subtracting sounds organic and pleasing to me.