New Gold Note PH 10

I had posted a question a while ago about hearing from anyone with experience comparing the Gold Note PH 10 vs. the Bryston BP2 or Clear Audio Smart V2 phono preamps.  I never heard anything back about this subject, so I decided to just simply purchase a new PH 10 and compare it against my Clear Audio preamp.  

First impressions:  As much as I love my Clear Audio Smart V2 and in particular its sound stage and imaging qualities, I have to say that the PH 10 was considerably better at detail and picking out the instruments, especially the low and mid range ones.   The Clear Audio seemed to be a little better at the upper end imaging and the sound stage.  But keep in mind this was with the PH 10 new right out of the box.

I was told the PH 10 needs at least 50 hours of run in time to open up, so I used it for two nights and left it on for several days.  After allowing it to settle in and enjoying a lot of music, I still thought the Clear Audio had a leg up on it in the sound stage/imaging department.   So I decided to listen to a well known record to me with excellent recording and a lot of dynamic range on the PH 10, then switch the wires over to the Clear Audio (which I had not heard in several days by this time), and replay the record.   YIKES!!!  it was like a blanket was draped over my speakers.  I had become so gradually accustomed to the new PH 10 that I had not noticed the slight changes going on with the break in.  When the Clear Audio was swapped back into the system (it took me about a minute to do this), it was night and day the differences.

The PH 10 was by far a much more detailed, pronounced signature with a superior sound stage and the imaging was hands down better.  I am using it with the Audio Technica AT20ss vintage MM cartridge which has an extraordinary frequency range of 5-50K hz, so I was able to take advantage of the Enhanced RIAA curve the PH 10 has.  It is pretty outstanding.   Make sure you break things in!   I love this phono preamp.
128x128slimpikins5
@slimpikins5 I think Gold Note should just make a an new revision with an MM 100k ohm loading feuture, it has so many options already , why not just add this one.
They are more concerned about capacitance options for MM than an additional 100K load option (which is not widely popular).

There was an early bunch of PH-10, then the regular production (which i have, serial #58009) and then they blabling something about new version in the future.

The original current production PH-10 is DEAD QUIET phono stage and not noisy at all. With external PSU-10 it’s absolutely amazing.

Of cause anyone can screw up the PH-10 to locate 47k Ohm resistors to replace them with 100k Ohm Vishay Naked Foil.

But since i alreay have a better MM phono stages (already upgraded with Vishay Resistors) i am using the Gold-Note primary for LOMC cartridges and i love it! I’m happy to use the 47k Ohm MM input on Gold Note PH-10 for my Luxman Toroidal Silver SUT for extremely low impedance MC cartridges (under 3 ohm). My Fidelity-Research FR-7fz on Fidelity-Research FR64fx arm via Luxman SUT to Gold Note's MM input (47k) blew my mind.
To answer the question, yes I have a fairly new PH10, I got it around a month ago, but I am not sure if its the latest version with the lowered noise floor.  That  was not really of interest to me as I was told the improved amplifier section for lower noise was on the MC side, not the MM.  Since I only use the AT20ss MM, I am not too interested in finding the latest model and I got a deal on this one.

On another note, I was e mailing with Maurizio in Italy this morning and he told me that they are indeed coming out with a high power version of the PH10 around June.  It will be called the PH1000 and it will have very extensive adjustments for capacitance loading and Clakster will love this, it will have a whole array of impedance settings for MM from 47k up to 100K including some ranges in between.  It will also have three turntable inputs and balanced XLR inputs.  It will not be a compact size case as the PH10, it will be a full 17 inch width case and will have an option for external power supply, but will have an enhanced internal power supply circuit.   Price?  Gulp, 6000 euros. 

He told me that changing the loading to offer a 100K impedance can be done, but only at the factory as they'd have to change one of the other impedance selections over to the 100K and probably have to write new software for the display to show it.  I am not sure I'd want to send my unit in to have this work done as I am sure it would not be inexpensive and I don't know how it would play with my AT20ss.  But I did suggest that they come out with a PH100, an upgraded version of the PH10 for MM users; he said he'd pass that on to his engineering team.   

User feedback is obviously welcomed by them.  They remind me of Axiom Audio in Canada who loves to work on projects with customers.... I have one sub woofer with a custom DSP algo and a switch to kick it in or out and they even engraved the switch positions with my "Bourbon Smooth" for flat and "Gin Gut Punch" for the 6 db boost.    Fun stuff.  In fact they are building me a new amp for my Bryston Model T sub with the "switch" for the DSP algo and a variable phase control as I have on two others from them.  Axiom builds the Bryston speakers to Bryston's specs, so they are the go to guys for experimentation.

Price? Gulp, 6000 euros.

Oops, i'm happy to stay with my PH-10 :) 

@chakster  you stated 
and then they blabling something about new version in the future.

Here is part of an e-mail I received from a dealer direct from GN.

"....The second more radical solution we will introduce since the production of 1st of February 2019 included in the NEW PH-10 will in fact regenerate the negative feedback of the unit reducing the noise a lot 12dB making the MC set-up quite as the MM set-up was!"

So yes they have updated the very fine sounding PH10 although I have not heard this latest version myself.