Merlin TSM comparisons

Hi,

I've been reading up lately on all kinds of monitors, and have been intrigued by Merlin's TSM. The latest iteration is the mmi, I believe.

If you've heard the TSM lately, especially in comparison to other, current monitor offerings out there, I'd love to hear your opinions. I know that there are other Merlin threads on Audiogon but I am especially interested in hearing from folks who have compared them to others, especially if you've lived with them.
rebbi
sounds like it is a little more to my liking than the golden rule would be. because the speakers are designed with their power response they like to be listened to a little farther away. 9.5 to 10 feet is my preference. if the rear wall is not damped with drapes or wall hangings leave them as they are but if it is damped move them back to 48 to 50. listen at 10 feet and adjust the toe angle.
then compare. won't matter is the side reflection panels are in the right place. but all in all i know i would like what you have done.
best, b
Will try the small move, might dial them in even more than they are now. How do TSM and VSM placement recommedations differ? I assume you look for a bit more bass reinforcement with the TSMs.
we start in exactly the same location and work from there.
in essence the set up is designed to minimize boundary reflections and maximize boundary reinforcements.
so yes the tsm may like a little more bass help by the room and the vsm may be aided by more extension.
this is 1/3 to 1/4 wave aligment.
best, b
On another note, thought I'd toss out there that I've been using Supra Classic 6.0 cables with my TSM-mmi's. My budget wouldn't accommodate Cardas, even used. On Bobby's advice, I looked for a finely stranded copper cable with a 9 gauge diameter. The Supra 6.0 matches these specs, and each strand of the copper is plated with tin, supposedly to decrease "skin effect."
The system is sounding increasingly gorgeous to me, as I dial things in and the speakers break in and settle in. Unfortunately, I don't have experience using other cables with my TSM's, so I cannot compare them to other cables. But given the current economic climate, I thought a potential "budget alternative" cable for Merlins might be useful to someone.
As for acquiring them, Madisound has them, or you can order direct from the distributor, sjofnhifi.com .
As for price, my 3 meter pair, with termintations (which I attached myself) ran less than $150, including shipping!
Bobby, love to hear your opinions on these one day.