Low End Bliss

Since getting bitten by the hi-fi bug I have given thought (and posted some questions) about how to improve the system down at my cabin which was a Toshiba SA-2500 that I got in 1980 and some Bose 2.2 bookshelf speakers I got around 1990. 

Since getting my hi-fi system the 2.2s became increasingly less pleasant to listen to.

I first replaced the 18 awg speaker wires with 12 awg 100% copper low o2 wire. It made no difference. Then I got them off the floor onto shelves at a better right height  which helped but due to room issues couldn't get them at the right height.

Since I'm trying to do this on the cheap I researched my old SA-2500 and it has gotten glowing contemporary reviews (really low distortion measurements) and good reviews in its day even though it was a mid-fi unit at best. So I've decided to keep it for now. Plus, it is a pretty unit and fits the decor of the cabin okay.

Then I decided bookshelf speakers were not an option since positioning was so limited. So I looked for towers but they needed front or bottom facing bass ports due to required proximity to the back wall. I found a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 70 towers on Craig's list locally for $180 for the pair, in excellent condition. They were Polk's low end tower. Decent reviews. Around $500 new. Put good banana plugs on the 12 awg wire and made jumpers with same (just for the heck of it).

Got a $15 Toshiba CD player at a Goodwill shop. Headphone jack to RCA 'Y' cable for laptop input. When I upgrade the Schiit Modi 2 Uber in my homes system I will take it to the cabin.

Bottom line is that I'm thrilled with the SQ. Not hi-fi but also not critically wanting like the little Bose. There is actually a soundstage. Bass is not muddy but it is a little boomy. I will try putting some socks in the bass ports to see if I can tune that a little.  Highs are a bit bright. Some of this can also be attenuated with the bass and treble controls. They do quite well for low volume listening also. The overall SQ is obviously nowhere near my home system but still pleasing and a huge step up from before. 

The SA-2500 needs three bulbs replaced. A service manual is on the way and I will do that part myself and it should be restored to its prior glowing splendor.

Thanks to all at Audiogon far all advice received to date.

Photo of the setup (and Boon) is linked below. As you can see room setup is lacking but is as good as it can be:

https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/data/3564/IMG_1145.jpg

n80
uberwaltz, it is in the South Carolina piedmont. Rolling hills. Farms. No incredible views but it has its own subtle beauty. Its on 250 acres and is one of the main reasons I don't have more cash for photography, cars and hi-fi. ;-)  

We built it from a kit and have had it almost 20 years. It has always been my music 'spot'. There is no TV, no cable, no internet, cell service is spotty so there is always music playing. But always on the low end system. Still low end but sounds way better now.

I may continue to build the system up a little but the cabin is too small for me to monopolize it as a primary listening space so no sense in going over the top. Plus I'm fairly attached to the old Toshiba. Will probably take a DAC down there sometime and maybe a better CDP but that's probably about all I'll do.......although I found a Toshiba SA-5000 at a vintage shop which is basically the same unit but with 50 wpc......$250....which is overpriced....

.....maybe some vintage speakers  one day........

N80
Not a million miles away, I can make the Piedmont area in about 4.5 hours. 
Regular visitor to the triad area for work as well.

Enjoy the cabin!

Oh and Boon!
Just saying "Bose 2.2" makes my ears hurt! There are some fantastic bookshelf speakers on the market right now for under $500, Elac, Klipsch, Q-acoustics, etc. Read the reviews, find a pair in your price range and hook them up.
Then put the Bose in the fireplace to keep you warm while you listen to music as it's meant to be heard!
Eric
Nice cabin and even nicer dog. Four dogs and Two cats here. We have a Lab/Pit Mix (the vet thinks). She's bonkers, in a good way.  All members of the 'family' are from the local rescue shelter. 
@gratefuleric: There is just nowhere to position bookshelf speakers properly in the cabin. That's why I went with towers.

Anyway, when I read the part about putting the Bose in the fireplace I got a chuckle since that is where they are:

https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/data/3564/IMG_1146.JPG

Not planning on burning them up, they were just sitting on the floor in my study and got shoved into the rarely used fireplace. I'll probably put them in my basement shop.

@gawdbless : Boon is a big, friendly, kind of doofy Lab. Probably not as smart as our previous one, Dash, but Dash was exceptional in that regard. Boon makes up for it in energy! Of course, we may be judging Boon a little early, he's only three so he _might_ get as smart as Dash was.