Bluesound Node 2i & Ayre Codex - How would this work?

I just picked up an Ayre Codex and I’m looking for a streamer - basically there are 3 options, a Sonore product like the micro/ultraRendu, a Bluesound Node 2i, or a Innuos Zen Mini.

I am leaning toward the BSN2i in terms of flexibility and ease of use, and the cost is a big plus vs the other options. However the BSN2i only has coax or optical out, and the Codex only has USB or optical in.

So basically this is only going to work via toslink, which I believe would have some limitations. For one, are there limitations on the sampling and bit rate that can be transferred via optical? Is the Codex a good enough DAC that it can mitigate jitter from the BSN2i optical out?

Would a Sonore product be better (though pricier)? I also really like the Zen Mini option but I think it’s really overkill. I know it is an amazing streamer because I already own a Zen MKIII hooked up to my main system. But that also makes all the other functions of the Mini redundant (no need for a HD, CD ripper, etc). Plus with the LPS option on the Mini, I could literally buy 4 Bluesounds or 2 ultraRendus.

I should add that the main purpose of the Codex and streamer will be to go into my Quad PA-One headphone amp. 
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xjsqt
The internal Bluesound dac doesn’t like
complex things when I ran it direct into my tube amp.   I was using a theta gen viii rev3 dac preamp $13.5k.  It’s really excellent and has a jitter jail in it to clean up the Bluesound coax output.  
I have a BSN2i picked up new 6 months ago.  Love it.  I use both optical and RCA.  The optical is an Audioquest Vodka and the RCA a Nordost Silver Shadow.  I cannot tell the difference sonically.  Moreover, I can pass 192/24 AIFF through the optical.  I don't think the issue is optical per se but the implementation.  The BSN2i is a wonderful unit and it goes into my Bryston BDA 1 with excellent results.  I haven't tried the other units but I do use Roon through my system and it has never been better.
Thanks guys, I actually did just pick up one of the Aries streamers listed here on AG. Worried that I would get frustrated with lack of DSD on the BSN2i down the road (I currently upsample everything to DSD in Roon).