Thiel CS3.7 and CS2.4 comparisons?

Has anyone compared these two speakers? I have auditioned the 3.7s a number of times and really liked them. But I never bought them for financial reasons over the last year...

Specifically I would like to know how vocals on the CS2.4s compare. But any information on them would be helpful.

My room is 12X20X8 and the CS2.4 might be a better fit anyway. I am looking at other speakers too but would like to keep the thread to just these two speakers.

Thanks,
James.
james63
James,
When you decide to move on to a 'better speaker', you might consider the Sound Lab. They are really, really uncolored in their presentation. Fast as lightning, great bass and nowadays, great dynamic transfer.

Definitely worth looking in to.

Best,
Larry
James,
As a side note to the comment about Sound Labs...some people know this, others may not--Jim Thiel was actually a serious fan of Electrostatics--and once told me that he felt that that was the optimal way to build a speaker.
Crossoverless in the truest sense, no cabinet, perfect time alignment.
However, in his start-up days of THIEL Audio, the limitations of this technology were too significant.
Now, in the year 2011--with dynamics not the issue that it was in 1976--better materials for the panel, greater efficiency, it would be interesting to see what an engineer of Jim's ability could/would do...wait, maybe we already know...Dr. West of Sound Labs...step forward!
lol

Larry
Larry,

I will try and hear the Sound Labs some day. The only electrostatic speakers I have demoed is the Martin Logan line, I thought the CLX was pretty nice but out of my price range. It did many things better than any speaker I have heard but they needed more low-end extension. The mix and match drivers of the lower models turned me off. Ultimately though the panel life of electrostatic speakers bothered me. How long is the panel life on Sound Lab speakers?

I also demoed the entire Magnepan line too. I also liked them but could not get over the build quality. Other panel brands are just a little too exotic and hard to come by.
James63,
I don't think that Electrostatics have an infinite life, but then neither do cone driven speakers in the absolute sense.
That IS an excellent question and talking point though, so I'll get an answer for you asap, by going to the 'sources'.

Best,
Larry
Ok thanks Larry, I know Quad recommends changing panels every 5 years. Martin Logan was not as direct with my question and said it depends on atmosphere (dust, temp, moisture, etc) but reading though the martin logan forum 5 years seems to be the sweet spot. Some people claim to get 10 years before the sound changes but I would guess they are not listening critically.

Other brands such as sanders have a life-time warranty on their panels and claim they do not wear out but again I do not like the mix and match driver designs (all panel or moving coil please).

Panel life seems to be a grey area with electrostatic speakers. Not sure why it bothered me so much, I have yet to keep a pair of speakers 5 years... but I like to think I could.