Buy LED, LCD or Plasma

Going for a new TV. Any hints, warnings or advice? It will go over the fireplace instead of the rug there now.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xalbertporter
I am also going to say "Plasma".

I bought a Panasonic TH-42PZ77U Back In 2007...... And after three years of use, so far I haven't been disappointed......

If you are a Movie Buff or a Sports Connoisseur, Plasma is the ONLY way to go

Panasonic and Pioneer are the class when it comes to Plasma TV. Pioneer is on the way out from what I understand. So, if you want a Pioneer Kuro, or a Pioneer Elite Kuro, you better get yours now before it's too late. Because after Pioneer ceases their Plasma TV Operation, the only brands that will be left after that will be Panasonic, LG and Samsung.

Good Luck and Happy Shopping....

--Charles--
Please check out the Samsung UN46B600 or the UN55B8000 and the new wall mount WMN1000b. Is it a flat screen or is it a picture frame? Yes, it's about 1 1/2 " flat and the wall mount is abt another 1" from the dry wall.

Better yet, the home gallery media will allow you to set you TV as a giant screen saver filled with awesome pictures and music.
As best as I can tell from your "systems" photo, a 58" will be way too small for your viewing distance. I refer you again to: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html
Unsound, I understand that recommendation but based on that calculator my current 55" TV just a few feet away from seating position should be between 70" and 77".

Mounting above the fireplace, the recommended screen size is between 118" and 125".

According to Google, there are only a few flat screens that large and they start about $100,000.00. I know a front projector can go that large but won't work due to the large skylights I already mentioned

Do you know of something I'm missing?
I have a Panasonic TC-P50G10 hanging on my wall. The TV is great but if I could have spent $3995, I would have moved up to the Panasonic Z-1. It comes in only one size presently (54 inch) but it is lightweight and only 1 inch thick.
The reason I recommend this one to you is the wireless setup. Fishing a half dozen wires through your wall can be a major pain. With the Z-1, all you need on the wall is an AC outlet (use a Porter Port). The rest of your stuff plugs into a box on your equipment rack that communicates with the monitor wirelessly.

By the way, this set is basically a wireless version of the V-10.