Unbalaned to Balanced

What would it sound like if I run an unbalance cable on my preamp(only unbalanced connections) to the balanced input on my amp(amp has a choice on Balanced or Unbalanced connections)?Ron
vinylnut63
The only choice I see is to use an unbalanced cable to the unbalanced input on the amp. There is no advantage to try to adapt your cable to the balanced input.
My amps ONLY have balanced connections as they are fully balanced and do not provide for single-ended conversion.  Prior to my current balanced preamp, I used several single-ended preamps.  I also used Jensen input transformers to effect the conversion.  Although my transformers were an outboard model requiring an additional very short IC cable, Jensen or Lundahl transformers are used by some manufacturers "inside" of amplifiers for the same reason.  The transformers offer the added benefits of a ground break (they can correct hum problems)  and I believe they also block DC.    However, there are impedance matching issues requiring you to keep the IC cables short'ish and they may not work with amps having low input impedance....like 10-20K ohms.
Post removed