JC3+ With Kleos SL?

Hey Folks,

I am considering trading in my Kleos for a Kleos SL.  Has anybody tried one of the SL versions of the Kleos, Etna, or Atlas with the Parasound JC3+?  As you may know the SL needs more gain and the rated 64DB gain of the JC3+ is below the 65DB gain recommended by Lyra and the US distributor Audioquest.

Thanks,
Robert
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xrobob
You are most welcome.

And yeah,  the reviews have been all good.  I am betting the JC3+ is still the one to beat anywhere near it's price.

And on the original topic,  my Kleos SL is on it's way from Japan to Audioquest and may ship to me by the end of the week.

WooHoo!

My backup system of a Dynevector 20xH on a VPI Scoutmaster is pretty good but can't match the detail and fullness of the Kleos/SME 309/SOTA Star (vacuum) combo.  And the elliptical stylus on the Dynevector picks up more noise.

Again let me remind folks that the newer Lyras are different from the older Helikon, etc.  They reproduce more body of an instrument without giving up detail.

Y'all take care
Robert
keep us posted, love my Delos but when I wear it out I am sure I will move North up the Lyra line. FWIW the Delos reacts well to a fine tonearm, I lucked into a Triplaner which seems magical...enjoy the music.

Jim
Hello Again,

To answer my original question,  the Kleos SL works very nicely into the JC3+.  Now on to the sound:

So I have the Kleos SL installed and roughly setup. I say roughly because the Shure stylus gauge is not good for two decimal places and I eyeballed the azimuth and VTA. The horizontal tracking angle did not change as the SL is the same body as the standard version, but I did check it.

As you might suspect, the sound is much the same as the Kleos. It is however more detailed both in transients and overtones. One would probably notice this on acoustic instruments as the plucking or hammer action is more distinct and there is more resonance as well. Also there is more texture which is probably another way of saying the above.

Unlike what an Absolute Sound reviewer said of the SL version of the Etna, the Kleos SL is more dynamic than it’s standard sibling.   Now my main setup is no longer less dynamic that the backup turntable rig. Both macro and micro dynamics have improved with the SL. Everything is more solid. The soundstage is perhaps a bit better and the individual instruments have more air or space around them. If you like the more homogenized sound of moving magnet cartridges, you won’t like the Kleos SL. It is also easier to notice when folks get carried away with reverb and slap echo.

I have a Clearaudio Weight Watcher stylus force gauge on order so I may have more to say after I experiment with different tracking force settings.

Y’all be cool,
Robert
robob,

I have a Kleos SL running into a K&K Audio Premium Maxxed-out phonostage with no problems. I have to agree with your assessments. It is a wonderful cartridge.

Joe
Thanks Joe for your thoughts. 

I was just listening to Birdcage from Sophia Pfister.  That LP is one of Fremer's recommendations.  The acoustic guitar on one of the cuts is quite wonderful,  the "it's in the room" sensation.  Overall the LP, which I believe is AAA, is wonderful on the Kleos SL and as I mentioned,  more dynamic than the Kleos with solid kick drum hits that resonate.

Hope you folks are doing well,
Robert