In listening to your system(s)...what is most crucial to your enjoyment?

In growing up around live musicians and instruments, the authenticity of sound, timbre ( Timbre is French in origin, which is apparent in its pronunciation: it is often pronounced \TAM-ber\ and, with a more French-influenced second syllable, \TAM-bruh\. ... And timbre may also be correctly pronounced just like timber as \TIM-ber\) ...a search finds diversity to the definition of timbre.  For me, it ties to "my truth" when I hear non-amplified instrument or group of instruments, voice or voices presented before me.  Changes to my system either get me closer or further from my truth.  Emphasis "my truth" because I've come to believe, like our other senses, it differs among us, leaving "experts" to theirs, some of which seem to "fit" mine.  It's fun when that happens.  Robert E Greene of TAS and Art Dudley of Phile seem to have advised me towards my truth over the years (with bits of disagreement here and there) but, they have steered me well, thanks.  What do you find crucial?
pinthrift
Another way of saying what everyone seems to be pointing out, for me, is that when everything gels and there's a convincing lack of hype in any parameter you care to mention.

With that, the music simply flows and unfolds before me with nary a surprise, unless it's dynamic in nature, which is supposed to surprise. 👍

All the best,
Nonoise

It was when in 1972 I first heard a direct-to-disk LP (Sheffield S-10) that I got a sense of the main failing of hi-fi systems: to reproduce the startling, instantaneous "snap" of live instruments, whether a stick striking a drum head, a piano keyboard being pounded by a pair of strong hands, or one of the strings on an upright bass being yanked on, rebounding and bouncing off the neck and creating a "buzz". Finding components that excel at that ability has long been a priority for me in system building (the other being lifelike timbre, the lack of vowel coloration).

Equally important is the "inter-transient silence" (as J. Peter Moncrieff of IAR called it) between notes, which throws the notes themselves into high relief or contrast.

These two criteria very much effect the sense of musical timing and flow, important to the above advanced audiophiles. They are also very instrumental in the creation of transparency, the freedom from added veiling and texture (not the texture of the reproduced instruments, but texture added BY the system). The irony is that good systems today are much more transparent than are the vast majority of recordings we play on them! The sound quality of recordings is now the major bottleneck in the reproduction of music.

@bdp24 +1! Your observations on snap, silence and veiling are absolutely spot on. I’ve spent many years building a system that was as transparent as I could make it using my Sheffields as the standard reference measure. When those Harry James trumpet notes rocket through your brain, you know you’re on the right track. The quality of the source material is an essential part of happy listening!
@whart +1

When it's right and real sounding, it's either all too hard or it's all too easy to list all the individual things that matter. When you know you're there, it's really a total result overall.
pinthrift

Dynamics (macro/micro), Texture and Timbre,  are important to my ears.
Specifically, a Jazz drummer 's use of brushes on the skins.

Happy Listening!