Opinion on SME 15

I posted this on another forum, but thought I might have more luck here.

I'm thinking of replacing my VPI TNT with a final turntable to see me into the foreseeable future. The TNT (series 1, bought in 1989, with various upgrades over the years) has a Graham Phantom II with a SME base and my new table would be something to exploit that tonearm.

The stellar build quality and SME longevity have great appeal to me. Price wise I could only stretch to the SME 15. It seems to have the main objective criteria covered: Effective isolation, non-resonant chassis, superbly quiet bearing and excellent speed stability. The reviews I've read indicate excellent sound quality - though they have all reviewed the table in 15A guise, i.e. with the SME 309 arm.

Many SME owners seem to love their tables, but there is a portion of vinyl enthusiasts who describe SME as detached and un-emotional, lacking in PRAT (?). I am seeking a neutral platform to hear what's on my records, not a stylised boutique sound - but of course I want it to be enjoyable.

I was hoping owners of the SME 15 would  chip in with their longer term impressions. Still loving it?

Actually any SME impressions would be useful - particularly the Graham/SME combo - or if you switched from SME and why.

128x128tobes
I think your Phantom would be great on the SME15 (although I’ve not heard the combination). When I bought the Phantom II it was either that or an SME V. I preferred the Phantom even though it was twice the price.

Conrad Mas recommended that the Avid Acutus, another suspended table, should only be used with fixed bearing arms like the iV/V. The only unipivot to be the exception was the Graham because it is as stable as a gimballed arm. I’ve seen a few Acutus’s combined with the Phantom and they (reportedly) work well together.  The SME15 suspension is nowhere near as “bouncy” as the Acutus so I would expect even less of a problem.

The only other concern for turntables using a Graham is weight vs suspension (LP12 was always a “no”) but I don’t see that being an issue. Check first?

So your final decision must be whether you consider the SME 15 to be good enough to replace your TNT?
A wildcard thought is to suspend the TNT on an aftermarket isolation platform as an alternative.
Good luck.. :)
"PRaT" is marketing bulls**t.  SME stuff tends to be very neutral.  If you like it, fine.
Here is my story. I had a VPI Prime which I liked by I hated the arm. I wanted a table around the price of the prime and since I had a scout 2 before which i did not like the jmw metal arm either so i went with a linear tracker Trans Fi Terminator and that combo was awesome. I wanted to simplify so got the prime, i sold it once a heard the new Technics 1200GAE and was very satisfied but had an itch for something that could take 2 arms, found a SME 20 local with a M2-9 arm lond story short I might be selling the GAE, the 10 is an excellent sounding table the fit and finish is spectacular, speed stability is spot on, less feed back noise than the Technics I used both on a symposium shelf. The design with the clamp and platter just works better I feel it is quieter than the Technics with better imaging and depth. Good luck!