Audio Additives Stylus Force Gauge inconstantcy

I recently purchased an Audio Additives Stylus Force Gauge and it is driving me nuts. I get inconstant readings every time I lower the stylus onto the little black dot on the plate. Without moving the arm, every time I lower, raise, lower, etc., I get a different reading between 1.68 - 1.88. The batteries are new, device reads 0.000g at start up, calibration checks out using supplied weight, room temperature is 72F, no interference from tonearm lifter and everything is level.
Anyone else have this problem?
128x128seasoned
As I stated above, the Canrong I used for 7 years that cost $50 10 years ago was "lab quality instrumentation".

Clearly. And considerably more resolving and accurate than the Winds. One might argue, I suppose, that I just got lucky and got a good sample. But it was. 
I’ve never liked those type of scales either. The Mapleshade scale is very accurate but not great looking. Pierre has modified a jewelers scale to accept a (loooong) platform which is one of it’s drawbacks. I too use the Rega now. The Shure beam scale is very inaccurate, I couldn't believe it when I read not too long ago, MF was endorsing it.
Ditto what ebm said. Upon recomendation, I found a used Winds ALM 01 for $300. They are no longer made but you can find them. All the incosistancies went away. It is the best and I've tried many.
"The Mapleshade scale is very accurate but not great looking. Pierre has modified a jewelers scale to accept a (loooong) platform which is one of it’s drawbacks."

Mine is 10 years old, and working fine. As long as fresh batteries are in it, I seem to get consistent measurements anytime.

The platform is kind of hokey, and I've had to reglue it several times from knocking it loose. Otherwise, it does what it's supposed to do.