So disappointed in today's Americana

I make it a habit of getting the Grammy nominated Americana albums from the library each year. Past years have introduced me to much new music, some good, some bad, some treasures (TajMo for example). This year I just listened to Brandi Carlile's cd 'By the way I forgive you', nominated for best Americana roots album. OMG it is unlistenable! You would think singer / songwriters would strive for a pristine recording that highlights their lyrics and mostly acoustic arrangements. No - it is a sonic mess, compressed all to hell. To quote my wife "Turn that crap off". End of rant. 
mcondo
I'm listening to Mercury Rev's Bobbie Gentry's the Delta Sweete Revisited on Tidal this morning through headphones and it sounds really nice.
That piece in the Times is actually pretty thoughtful and well written.
I don't listen using ear buds but occasionally listen to something over my laptop simply to hear it, not for any serious listening-- and I'm surprised at how much difference you can hear despite the file compression (e.g. MP3, not dynamic compression). This would tell me that the fad of loudness wars isn't to compensate for inadequacies of the playback device--much like dynamic compression of TV commercials, it is used to grab attention. But, how much long term enjoyment from something that is always at "11"?
I know I'm preaching to the converted here....
As to "Americana," i don't know that it is a very definite genre- it seems to be an amalgam of folk, (old) country (as distinguished from 'new' country which is really '70s soft rock), and a few other genres-bluegrass, for example, thrown in the mix. It is probably a catch-all for other things that don't clearly fit into another pigeonhole; I'm surprised Gary Clark, Jr. is labelled as Americana, since I considered him more a blues guy-- but, just like everything else, genre labels are not very instructive. They are probably even less apt when applied to someone who is innovating and doesn't fit neatly under a category that is already well-worn by predecessors. 

I don't have an answer other than that, like most things in the pursuit of music that is fidelous, you are going to go through a lot of material and forced to be selective. 
One of the more unusual "Americana genre" performances was Robert Plant's Band of Joy performance at the 2010 Americana awards. I think having recorded with Alison Krauss and with Patti Griffin in the band gave them some Americana cred - but it was pure rock with some roll mixed in. 
Sarah Jarosz is recorded by one the best engineers in the business. Follow him for great records, Gary Pacozsa.  His records are ridiculously good.  "Follow Me Down" (her #2 album) and Build Me Up from Bones (#3) both got Grammy noms.  Her latest Undercurrent was nominated for Best American Roots performance, Best Folk Album and Best Engineered Album.   He did Alison Krauss "Windy City" and "Deep Waters"  from The Lone Heartstring Band. "Forever Words" Johnny Cash and "Cover Stories, 10 years", Brandi Carlile.   Find his records on
allmusic.com

Brad
Lone Mountain Audio

@whart 

I agree with you in your analysis of what may make up Americana. It's very difficult these days to pigeon hole a specific genre because of the genre bending going on.

Love Sarah Jarosz, Aoife O'Donovan/Crooked Still, Sara Watkins......