Preserving the sound of the ultimate audio gear for future generations ...

erik_squires

Should probably also add this since it's a big deal for me. I am a one source listener. I don't hook up my systems with more than one input and usually only have one input (meaning one set of RCAs) period on the unit.

I've always thought it funny that HEA made "Discrete" such a big deal breaking term yet didn't put the word into practice. Preamps using multiple inputs are not discrete Preamps.  

mg

People tend to judge cd based on their experience, conveniently forgetting that it is often the DAC and/or transport being the limiting factor. A lot of CD's (when the recording has been done properly) will sound really impressive when using the proper equipment. One shouldn't reject the CD as a carrier, but should admit that it is indeed expensive to get the final result the way we like it. However for those who are willing to invest a few extra dollars, CD will sound fantastic.
Hi @michaelgreenaudio

That’s not how I ever heard or have seen the term "discrete" used in HEA.

From my reading, and use, "discrete" is an abbreviation of "discrete circuits" which is the antonym of "integrated circuit." From a practical matter this means gain stages are built using individual transistors, rather than chip based op amps.

"Discrete" does not refer to the number of inputs, or to input switching capabilities. In home use, there's almost no need for "discrete inputs" since you only use one at a time.

Very rarely I have read of "discrete outputs" which refers to having multiple outputs which do not share circuitry and may even be isolated by independent voltage regulation stages.

Best,

E