Preserving the sound of the ultimate audio gear for future generations ...

erik_squires
Post removed 
Of all media types CDs sound the worst right out of the box, but are the most amenable to Tweaks of all the media types. The perfect storm for the obsessive compulsive dragon chaser. From holographic foils to cryogenics, to Morphic Messages to green and purple pens to edge bevelers and Artificial Atoms. What more could you ask for? 
I used to listen to CDs as a convenience, much-preferring vinyl over the shiny discs. Now that the system is tweaked to the heavens and back, CDs are on an equal basis with my vinyl rig as far as sound quality goes.

Do they sound the same? Nope. CDs have lower noise, better dynamics, and more defined bass ... on good recordings. Vinyl has more of that human quality and the organic naturalness of live instruments ... on good recordings. 

Both mediums are close ... so close as to not be significant (on my system). 

If I were starting from scratch, and not surrounded by thousands of LPs collected over almost a lifetime, I would not buy a turntable or records. I wouldn't stream using a laptop either. It would be red-book CDs of the highest recorded quality, period.

Frank

Should probably also add this since it's a big deal for me. I am a one source listener. I don't hook up my systems with more than one input and usually only have one input (meaning one set of RCAs) period on the unit.

I've always thought it funny that HEA made "Discrete" such a big deal breaking term yet didn't put the word into practice. Preamps using multiple inputs are not discrete Preamps.  

mg

People tend to judge cd based on their experience, conveniently forgetting that it is often the DAC and/or transport being the limiting factor. A lot of CD's (when the recording has been done properly) will sound really impressive when using the proper equipment. One shouldn't reject the CD as a carrier, but should admit that it is indeed expensive to get the final result the way we like it. However for those who are willing to invest a few extra dollars, CD will sound fantastic.