Why not horns?

I've owned a lot of speakers over the years but I have never experienced anything like the midrange reproduction from my horns. With a frequency response of 300 Hz. up to 14 Khz. from a single distortionless driver, it seems like a no-brainer that everyone would want this performance. Why don't you use horns?
macrojack
JohnK, I think it's great that an offset bipolar type might find its way into your lineup! I consider it an honor that you see enough potential to give it a shot. Let me know what Joe thinks if you get a chance.

There's at least one other manufacturer, Jim Romeyn, doing his own variation on the theme, and here's a link in case you'd like to take a look at what he's doing:

http://jamesromeyn.com/home-audio-gear/jr-modular-pro-monitor-3kpr-usd/

Very best to you.

Duke
sorry for three posts in a row but I missed this earlier.

Prez, I couldn't figure where the 26dB cam from but now I do. My earlier analysis was of the VK-75/150 and I did not know you were looking at the solid state amps.

If you take a look at BATs website and look at the following products: VK-255SE and VK-600. You will see that both amplifiers have 26dB of gain. Yet one is rated at 150W into 8ohms and the other is 300W into 8ohms.

The practical difference between these two amps is that the VK-600 is basically a chasis with two of the smaller amps fit inside. There are other differences but practically speaking, this is the crux of it.

Bottom line. I totally agree that paralleling identical amps does NOT change the gain (dBW) one bit. But clearly, BAT is a good example of how it does double the output power.

I believe you should see now that your conclusion is incorrect. The 26dB, as stated by Al just means the input voltage gets multiplied by 20 for both amps.

To get 150W@8ohms from the smaller one takes about 1.7 volts in.

1.7V times 20 = 34V......34V squared divided by 8 = 150W
If you drive it harder you can't get more than 34V because the voltage can go no higher and it clips.

To get 300 Watts from the bigger amp takes about 2.5V in which produces about 50V out. It can go higher because the voltage rails are higher. It has a power supply with higher voltage rails and presumably more output devices in parallel to share the higher amount of current it can produce. It's not higher power because it has more devices in parallel, it is higher power because it has higher rails. It is not simply 2 of the smaller ones in the same box.

You clearly don't have a firm grip on the basics yet you attack me for pointing that out. I don't know what to tell you. That's all basic electronics that a first year tech school student learns yet you call me a complete and utter fool when I explain it to you.

Lets move on,NOTHING has been settled here...

All I know is, the Klipschorn speaker has been made for

over 60 years, along with JBL, they have been making

the speakers the Studios used for many years.

That said: The "HORN" speaker, has firmly rooted itself,

into the Audio "Hall of Fame".

Name some of YOUR favorite speakers, how long have they

been around?

As I said earlier, no, Horns are not for everyone.

Life goes on.

Love them, hate them, it is YOUR choice; but to say

Horn speakers, fail to deliver superb sound, when

implemented properly, is just plain "IGNORANT".

From Japan, to Europe, and back, Klipschorn,along with

JBL, for over 60 years and counting, are still revered,

World Wide.

Somebody Loves Horns...

I Love Music!
Popularity is not synommous with quality. Horns have been around a long time, for a number of reasons. Perhaps, because of early amplifier limitations and/or perhaps because much like today, they work well for creating great volume for great spaces. It would appear to me, at least on this thread, that there doesn't seem to be a consensus by horn enthusiasts as to; when exactly a horn is implemented properly. Perhaps when that can be determined, the horn haters will give horns yet another chance. Till then, your ill mannered upper case insulting shouting doesn't improve the quality of your argument, it compromises it.

Good show Dave ........ LOL and very correct !

06-15-10: Sogood51
I'm glad I gave up my audiophile card long ago, because thats when music became fun again. My Apogee dipole panel speakers are fun to listen to, and so are my horns (Klipsch).

My Bose 901's out in the garage are also fun....and so are my big old ugly VMPS Supertower/R's.

When I was an audiophile, I rarely found music or speakers that were fun, and once the fun was gone......so was I.

After around 5 years I came back for another try, and with a new goal......."Don't worry, be Happy"....and have fun!

Dave