New Rega Planer 8 (P8) Turntable - Apheta 2 Cartridge Combo - Thoughts

Any Thought's on the "New" Rega Planer 8 (P8) Turntable - Apheta 2 Cartridge Combo

Any Rega owners / dealers / folks familiar with the table and/or brand have any thoughts / advise about this table / brand / combo? 

I am trying vinyl again... Tried it before without much luck. Table / cart / phono set up was too finicky for me and I wasn't able to get decent sound. I sold it all and am now giving it another try.

I also chose a Sutherland Duo phonostage to match with it.

Would love thoughts, advise, ideas or feedback. I have never owned a Rega product before. Going to set it up tonight but still waiting for my phonostage to be mailed to me. Would love some feedback. 

Thanks  

System info

Rega P8 Turntable / Apheta 2 Cart
Sutherland Duo Phonostage
Simaudio Moon Evolution P-8 Linestage
Pass Labs X250.8 Amp
Magico S5 Speakers (MK II's on order)

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xfsmithjack
The Technics 1200G is a heck of a table.  I can say after owning almost a year, it just keeps getting better and switching cartridges is easy.  It a well thought out design and I have no desire to upgrade anymore.
Cartridge break-in is very real, but real-er for some brands & models than others. Ortofon Cadenza Bronze is an example that sounds great out of the box, right from hour #1 (and pairs great with the hybrid JFET/tube stages). Whereas Koetsu stones can take some mileage to get where they’re going (and tends to want an MC Step-Up Transformer to shine). You need at least 24 - 40 hours of playtime to see what’s up. Then there’s the issue of running in the phono stage itself. Ugh I hate components with long run-in times. I'm so impatient there, and what with the added difficulty of sending a reverse-RIAA signal via DAC/CD to the phono...

Definitely agree with the discussion on flooring and isolation. If I didn’t have a great rack and somewhat rigid flooring, my main table would be a SOTA (or SME, etc) for its built-in suspension system. I had a Clearaudio Innovation that struggled on an inadequate (not even that cheap) rack - the Rega would be just as bad if not worse in that context.
Great info... maybe I gave up too early. I don’t doubt that. As far as my room 1/2 room is over garage and other half over my basement. Yes maybe that contributed.

i had it on a Solid Tech Hybrid Rack with Silent Running Audio OHIO Class Isolation platform but still maybe these is somthing to my floors or something? I’ve never had a problem with anything before but who knows? My house was made in 88/89 so not too old or anything like that? Seems pretty sturdy but not sure. I had the cart mounted by OEM and didn’t mess with it with fear of messing it up? 

They say Rega is great - that you set the tracking downforce and put in your rack and rock it but not sure but obviously something was wrong? I mean I’m a pretty smart person and I’m a long time Audiophile so if I can’t do it how come so many other have? 

Who knows?? 
more clues

fsmithjack
I had the cart mounted by OEM and didn’t mess with it with fear of messing it up?

wlutke
It did take me 8 tries to align the Apheta 2.

8^0

IMO- its unfortunate you got rid of the gear so quick. You could have opened your phono stage and put the plug in for 47K. Run the cart full out no load.  

more clues

As far as my room 1/2 room is over garage and other half over my basement.

so which half was the TT on ?  

Frank,
3 strikes but you are not out.
The comments suggesting a wall shelf are a  good idea. Once I solved similar issue by reinforcing the floor by putting a couple of  2x4 lengths of wood (cheap pine will do) in the basement or crawl space as joists directly under the audio rack. Just cut the length an extra inch long and then pound them into place with a rubber mallet from floor to ceiling. Problem solved for about ten bucks!

As for the choice of table, arm & cart, I am sorry to say, but all 3 choices were meh at best. Most of the recommendations I read on that gear is from folks who haven't owned better quality tables. They are frequently stepping stones of the inexperienced or those without the budget flexibility you have. The suggestions from the most analog experienced weren't your choices. You might need to accept the fact that great arbitrage opportunities to flip for quick profit won't be there on the best sonic options, as fewer will be available, and the market will be more stable.

I  would suggest considering the rest of the system that is used by those with the tables /carts you are pondering. With the quality of your gear and your high standards, if rest isn't the same level, then why would you expect the analog setup to be? Ask yourself if you are considering a setup that discerning listeners end up with, not step up from. That is certainly achievable in your budget.

The other thing to do is make a greater effort to go listen to more top analog gear and be sure to hear some that really wow you. Then you will have a far better understanding of what is possible. If nothing wows you...you know the verdict. Given your quick trigger finger and nature toward quick judgement consider a used or demo cartridge, because it will already be broken in. That could make all the difference in your case.
Cheers,
Spencer