A Night with three phono stages Allnic 1202, ANK and GoldNote PH10

I had the opportunity to listen to three good phono stages this week. The Audio Note Kit ($2200), GoldNote PH10 ($2000), and the new Allnic Audio 1202 ($3800) this was a demo unit from the distributor. We listened in one long evening to all three with the same three records. All were played on an Oracle Delphi table through the phono stage then to an Auto former (passive) and to some very nice custom made 45 tube based mono blocks (2wpc) finally to some custom le Scala speakers (102db). Over all my friends system is very reveling of small changes to the system (not to mention noise and hum). I have to say every one of the phono stages are excellent the two tube units and the one SS unit defiantly had the typical differences from SS and tube. Also all were hum free.

The records of choice for this listening were; a UK first pressing of Pink Floyds Wish you were here out of a collection that had only about 6 plays since new (wow wonderful recording best I’ve heard of that record ever), Santana Abraxas half speed mastered addition another very good recording, and a mix of some Brazilian jazz can’t recall the band but great and some Mark Knofler few random cuts but we used the first three mostly for eval.  

We started with the AudioNote phono stage then the GoldNote and finally the Allnic. Have to say every one of them is top notch and really between the ANK and the Gold Note it was basically boiled down to tube or SS both were comparable. I’d give the GoldNote more in the Bass, slightly better detail with more extension, instrument attack and separation of instruments.  The ANK was slightly more musical and had a really nice midrange it was also very involving.  Both had great PRAT as well.

After those two we stuck the Allnic in. we expected the Allnic to blow away the first two being twice the price but really it wasn’t that much better. I said to my friend after “is that all you get” I didn’t hear the hyp to be honest. This is a bit deceiving as you don’t really hear the difference right off it sort of comes to you after a few records. The Allnic brought more detail, better decay of notes, separation of notes and instruments and a nice warm I’d almost say laid back presentation maybe lush. I think the ANK and GoldNote both had better PRAT and the GoldNote specifically had better Attack. But the Allnic is a pleasant phono stage if that makes sense it’s a pleasure to listen to but IMO not $2k more than either the ANK or GoldNote just a bit different but in a good way.

The evening was a great chance to listen to some excellent for the money phono stages I know my friend is wrestling with the idea of selling his ANK and buying the Allnic. I’d keep the money and buy more records if it was my money.

+++

I own the GoldNote PH10 bought it on a whim and after that evening I’m very happy with what it can do. also being the least expensive of the three I would not put it at the bottom for sound quality its defiantly equal to or better then the ANK and I’d say gives the Allnic a run for its money in many areas (PRAT for example).  I’d like to hear what the separate power supply does for the sound maybe in the future.

Note all phono stages were broken in, the Allnic was just from a reviewer who lent it to my friend for eval in his system before it goes back to the distributor.  

128x128glennewdick

I’d like to hear what the separate power supply does for the sound maybe in the future.

Definitely!

Thanks for the info, interesting, i think without power supply the PH-10 is not $2k, but much cheaper? Never heard the other two phono stages, but the PH-10 has so many features for the MC cartridges, it can work as two independent MC phono stages (or MM and MC) which is simply amazing for systems with two tonearms (two cartridges). 
Chakster,

I bought the PH10 because of its flexibility, two tone arms are in my near future. last I checked the PH10 was $2k list and the power supply was $1200 list (mind you I'm in Canada and i'm quoting list usd prices). I'm betting the power supply is worth every penny if its half again as good as the PH10. 

Really I would recommend any one the three phono stages to someone, all of them do a wonderful job just depends on what your looking for more then anything IMO well funds I suppose as well. 
Anyone in the price range of the Allnic would be well served to consider the Herron VTPH-2A. Or, for that matter, any of the earlier versions. If you can find one used that is. They are so good people hardly ever sell. 

I know just how they feel. Mine is so much better my wife noticed- through the listening room door.
Been in love with my ph10 ever since I bought it last year sometime.
Have two tables connected right now,one MC and one mm.
I really cannot fault it in terms of SQ or user friendliness and flexibility.

However $1000 for the power supply is a bit much imho