Budget Speaker Recommendation?

Looking for a budget bookshelf model, new or used. Price range is around $300-400. Listen to mostly rock and roll, some jazz and classical. Room is a pretty open family room (15x20) with high ceilings and that blends right into the kitchen. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
dewey88
I agree on Triangle. Try to find a used Celius on this site.

I liked the Celius when I bought it new several years ago and I like it more every day. Both my wife and I liked it better than the B and W 600-series (683, I think) and also better than M-L, Dali and Epos. We thought the B and W 703 was equally as good, but at double the price.

Another option might be a late model Paradigm reference series. Very easy to drive and excellent build quality.

Disappointed with the KEFs and Monitors. The Regas were ok and we both disliked the Gallo (although I think what we listened to was right out of the box so maybe not a fair comparison). That's out of the range anyway.

Anyway. That's my $0.02.
At your stated price used I say the Quad 11L2 or Polk Audio LSi7. The small Polks are a really nice sounding speaker IMO.
This is my own ignorance, but if they are on a bookshelf (there would be about a foot clearance from the back of the speaker to the wall), does it matter if they are ported in the rear)?
it definitely matters if they're rear ported--i did a very similar search recently for a near-wall placement monitor and some very good speakers, such as psb and proac, didn't work in such configuration. for your budget, i'd find a used pair of rega r1 or rs1--they're indifferent to placement and forgiving of electronics. alternatively, focal cobalt (which i ended up with) or chorus; cantons are a good budget rec as well.