Linear tracking turntables, whatever happened?

Curious as to the demise and downfall of the seemingly short lived linear tracking TT.
Just from a geometry point of view I would have thought a linear arm should be superior to one with a fixed pivot that sweeps through an arc.
Obviously there is much more to it than that, sort of the reason for this thread.
I am genuinely interested in trying one out for myself as well.
128x128uberwaltz
@terry9---say, what pump do you use with your Terminator? Have you also incorporated a "surge" tank? Just a regular ol' 1 gallon plastic jug? I'm about to mount my Terminator (which I had Vic fit with the last of his silver wire, straight to a pair of WBT RCA plugs) on a VPI Aries 1 I got specifically for use with the arm.
I use a HiBlo pump from Pets&Ponds. Model 60 I believe (massively overspecced because I planned to use low pressure for other uses). I use a 1 gal plastic jug filled with cotton balls, with a long piece of perforated plastic tube feeding air to the inside of the jug. Then a Fairchild precision regulator and a medical blood pressure gauge to get me down to the 10-50 mm of Hg range (sub 1 psi). I finish with a 5 gal Jerry can surge tank.

Vic's silver wire is very nice - very pliable, very euphonic. I use ETI connectors myself.
Vic´s silver wire is VERY pliable but his stock has run out long time ago. Extremely difficult to locate unfortunately. Currently he uses copper litz which is a superb substitute. Some people prefer it as wiring is a matter of taste in sound quality. For me personally silver is the only to go for best SQ. Stiffer silver wires are very difficult to adjust and probably is a mission impossible to work all the way from run-ins to run-outs. As Terry the Improver said already, wire tension is the biggest challenge with linear trackers.

Terry, maybe you could send me your email thru A´gon ?
I owned a Thales Slim II. Even though the tonearm doesn’t resemble conventional linear tracker, the concept of a pivoting headshell has that effect.

For me, this will be my last turntable as it has the advantage of a linear tracker while maintaining the elegance of a conventional turntable 
@mhmeyers –

Thanks for that! I'm glad to see that someone got around to talking about the Beogram 4002.

Early in my audiophile days I owned one, coupled with a Bryston amp, Apt Holman pre-amp, and Magnepan Tympani III-A speakers. The turntable was excellent, and beautiful.

I switched to CD long ago, but still have very fond memories of that component.