Linear tracking turntables, whatever happened?

Curious as to the demise and downfall of the seemingly short lived linear tracking TT.
Just from a geometry point of view I would have thought a linear arm should be superior to one with a fixed pivot that sweeps through an arc.
Obviously there is much more to it than that, sort of the reason for this thread.
I am genuinely interested in trying one out for myself as well.
128x128uberwaltz
Dear Millercarbon, Thank you for "telling it like it is".  I've never heard those gaudy products all together in one system, but I can imagine that I might agree with you, if I were to audition that system.  However, let's do keep in mind that the Clearaudio turntable uses a Souther-type tonearm, described by me in an earlier post.  In fact, I think Clearaudio bought the patent rights from Souther in order to incorporate his ideas into their products.  In my opinion (and I stress that this is ONLY an opinion), the Souther design, where the cartridge is carried on what amounts to only a headshell which rides in a gravity-dependent fashion on a rail strung across the LP surface, has many issues.  Not the least of which is that any irregularity in the LP surface has a large effect upon VTA, due to the very short distance between the stylus and the headshell pivot point.  My point is that I would not throw the SL tracking baby out with the Clearaudio bath water.  SL tracking done well does have merit.  I think air bearing is the way to go, but like many others who joined this thread, I chose not to bother with the air pumps, filters, and noise that come with air bearing tonearms.  I do recognize that by choosing to use only pivoted tonearms, I am accepting one set of problems for another.
Ketchup
It was not really the setup of an air bearing arm I was referring to.
But more over all the attendant hardware, lines, pumps, etc and the noise however slight from a pump( unless you can set the pump up in another area?).
Just my choice , which is why I started this thread as I am intrigued by the concept of linear tracking but sans air setup.
^^^^ It´s actually child´s play after a while. Oh, I did forgot the air filter altogether, but it lasted for ten years LOL

Terry, you are welcome. Yes, I run Vic´s Salvation motor (implementation for my setup) on soapstone plinth + maglev is very steady due its dense magnetic field created by powerful opposing neodymium magnets with very small gap. Again inspired by Vic´s experimenting at the same time.
Another simple brilliant idea from him as it just works. The same with his obvious path to maglev feet shortly after.

As for your tweak I think I get the picture .....Fascinating.

I may have a few questions still. Here on A´gon there´s too much confusion ... and businessmen drink their wine and smoke fat cigars ...
Can we discuss somewhere else, maybe you are in other forums ? Or from another, better world ( : _)
Trans-Fi tonearm works with low pressure. An aquarium pump is recommended. I run mine at 20-30mm of Hg, that is about 0.5 psi.

Low pressure means no issues with oil or condensate or maintenance. High pressure (for my TT) does mean maintenance, but industrial accessories and connectors limit that to an hour a month.
Understanding these design differences will go a long way towards setup of both tonearms. If anyone is toasting carts on an ET2 they have no idea how to set it up.

Sounds to me like your dealers were Personality Type B...8^0.
@ct0517
Looking back on it, I think you are right.