New Rega Planer 8 (P8) Turntable - Apheta 2 Cartridge Combo - Thoughts

Any Thought's on the "New" Rega Planer 8 (P8) Turntable - Apheta 2 Cartridge Combo

Any Rega owners / dealers / folks familiar with the table and/or brand have any thoughts / advise about this table / brand / combo? 

I am trying vinyl again... Tried it before without much luck. Table / cart / phono set up was too finicky for me and I wasn't able to get decent sound. I sold it all and am now giving it another try.

I also chose a Sutherland Duo phonostage to match with it.

Would love thoughts, advise, ideas or feedback. I have never owned a Rega product before. Going to set it up tonight but still waiting for my phonostage to be mailed to me. Would love some feedback. 

Thanks  

System info

Rega P8 Turntable / Apheta 2 Cart
Sutherland Duo Phonostage
Simaudio Moon Evolution P-8 Linestage
Pass Labs X250.8 Amp
Magico S5 Speakers (MK II's on order)

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xfsmithjack
It’s definitely OK to play a new record before a cleaning, now and then (dry-brush off all the loose debris). Especially with a good stylus cleaning regimen based on the Magic Eraser and a dry brush. I’m of the camp that the M.E. needs to actually "scrub" something to be effective. I did the simple dip/lift for a while without satisfaction. Now I dip in a corner and *carefully* rotate around the stylus for a proper clean. But it can take some time to work up confidence for this (safe as long as you do no sudden movements; only use one-finger at a time for rotating). I even do this on my Koetsu Coralstone; the diamond still gleams like it’s never been played.

Got to say I’m not a huge fan of the MOFI pressings. I’ve gotten a real expensive dud or two (e.g. Megadeth "Countdown to Extinction" MOFI 2006) that turned me off. I think it’s a good idea and diversify; pick up some good original/vintage pressings too - often that’s where the vinyl magic can be found. Even the cheap stuff can be amazing! E.g. Al Stewart’s "Year of the Cat" can be found in $1-$4 bins and it’s excellent (I don’t even have the MOFI).

Excited for you to be getting your P8 setup together! Crossing fingers that it meets or exceeds your expectations.
It is a good idea to clean new records before using them as there is sometimes a small amount of residue from manufacturing process depending on manufacturer.  That said, I am not very fanatical about cleaning records and sometimes play new records without cleaning.  The may be in part due to my use of the Spin Clean, which is cheap and works but is some work to use and not very time efficient IMO.  My next cleaner will be similar in that regard but better in result I think: George Merrill's Gem Dandy hydraulic cleaner.  hifigem.com   Down the line I would like to get a Klaudio ultrasonic cleaner.  BTW, I always clean used records before playing and store in new sleeves and use an outer cover as well.  Make sure you store your records nice and vertical as well.

Go ahead and use the table to set tracking force and play away.  Recheck and adjust once you get your digital gauge.  I use a rega digital stylus force gauge that is terrific and worth the $.  I used to use an Audioquest carbon fiber record brush (the ubiquitous one) and I think it leaves small scratches and have read similar findings from others.  I switched to an AcousTech The Big Record Brush with grounding wire for static drain and its fibers are much softer and it excels at what it does without scratches as far as I can tell.

In the end, use what you have and enjoy.  Don't overthink it, but do remember that appropriate record care will lengthen the life of the record and stylus and improve the sound.  I would however avoid developing any habits that are so cumbersome that they eat into your listing time or experience or drive you away from enjoying the music.

tablejockey

When I first read your initial comments I thought I you were just another pot stiring, Joe negative jaded audiophile that probably shouldn't be bothering to read a newbie vinyl post who is asking for help about a subject he obviously doesn't know much about? A proper vinyl set up...

Unfortunately, Now I am thinking you may have seen this clearer than any of us?

I am a very seasoned audiophile other wise being a long time digital audiophile but thought that vinyl would be different.

Sort of hoped maybe sort of like tubes to solid state.

I went through years of loving tubes and now love solid state and prefer solid state but still appreciate tubes, what they have to offer and the unique difference between the two.

I know nothing is the same but I thought or had hoped vinyl would have its own like uniqueness. Don;t know if I would like it or not but wanted to find out myself and wanted to have at least a decent enough set up to make that happen. 

So I bought:

Rega Planer 8 Turntable 
Rega Apheta 2 Cart
Custom Traditional Clear Cover to cover everything vs odd oem one
19x16x3 Solid Maple Base with Solid Tech Footers
Okki Nokki MKII w/Clear Cover
Brushes, Weights, Gauge's, Fluids, Magnify glass, Misc
Dozen Brand New MOFI Records that have great user reviews
Sutherland Engineering Duo Mono Block Phonostage
Audioquest Fire RCA 1.0M Interconnects for phonostage
Audience AU24se LP 1.0M AC Cable for mono phono stage 
Audience AU24se LP 1.0M AC Cable for mono phono stage
Audioquest 1000 Niagara Conditioner (need 3 outlets for table/phono)
Audioquest Tornado 1.0M AC Cable for AQ Niagara Conditioner

This above is not a small $500 Project with built in phonostage but Also understand that my digital system is one that I have been refining over for over for a decade.

I have over $20k into my digital front end so yes I understand if it is better but I made a semi-substantial investment with the hope to get decent enough vinyl that I could at least appreciate the differences and the uniqueness of vinyl. 

God knows I've read a zillion times how much better vinyl is than digital. 

You seem to be the only one that knew what was going to happen with regards to my view on this? 

I listened to a half dozen records last night.

For starters it was by far the best sounding vinyl I have ever heard in my home and I was quite happy with this.

I am concerned that I set up my table without my digital tracking forces gauge because it won;t be here until Monday. I have not received my record washer yet, this system has not broken in yet?

I have not received  my Audioquest 1000 or Audioquest Tornado  yet so just using a cheap PS Audio Juice bar? People say that these tables need 20 or 30 hours to break in? My phono stage was only plugged in about 1/2 hour from getting from FedEx and all this said my hope is this is what is effecting the sound and it can and will get better?

Why do I hope all these things are effecting sound? Well because, I spend all the money to play with records and it sounds like mediocre digital at best?

Right now the best way to describe the sound is by memory and to put in digital terms.

Lets say I unplugged my Bricasti ethernet media player, my OCXO ethernet switch and LPS, all my other support linear power supplies and servers and removed my Bricasti M1SE DAC.

Then I replaced all this with a Cambridge 851 DAC and ran a regular consumer grade USB cable direct from Dell PC right into the Cambridge 851.

Now please understand. The 851 DAC is one solid little DAC and does a nice  job cleaning up the incoming usb signal and many people really like this set up but it in no way even remotely even approaches anything that resembles competing with my set up?  

I can only speak in terms of digital because it is all I know. 

Will break in, warm up, a record cleaner and digital gauge make that much of a change? I really hope so.

The thing that disapoibts me the most is not that it is not anywhere near as good as my Digital but there is noting unique or different about it?

All the things people say to desribe the very best analogue is what i hear with my Bricasti front end. The air, space, naturalness.

This set up I put together right now sounds like digital and not that good digital either. Not bad but no where near what I hoped?

Will it get better? Is there hope?

Do I need a $5000 cart and tube phonostage to get there.

Should I sell my Sutherland and power cables and pick up a Herron phonostage?

Any ideas?

I don't mind washer my records and stylus after every record as long as it sounds good?

Please let me know because vinyl has to be better than this? Maybe my system is too refined and I need really really good analogue to get to work? I mean the gear I bought is pretty good gear? 

What do you guys think?

Color me pretty disappointed :(

Not discouraged because in the end it is all fun to me. Heck it is audio and its my hobby so life is good. Just want to know what to do next?

Thanks 

Ok guys

I just put on MOFI - Brothers in Arms - Dire Straights and was like oh thank you - much much better.

This is more like it? This is a very nice sound and the direction i was hoping. So wow the difference between actual records is that much? That flat digital sound was gone and very pleasant sound was there.

I just realized that these’s are 45’s but the same size and not little ones like I thought they would be? Told you I am a newbie?

Anyways - this 45 sounds oh so much better.

I can’t believe the difference between records. I played a half dozen or so records and they all sounded similar and sort of crappy.

This sounded very nice?

Can you guys tell where I can get some nice sounding records like this?

I cant believe the difference in quality?

I guess my hope is with break in, proper tracking force set via digital gauge, record clean machine and  Stylus cleaner and some other records of this Brother in Arms quality or maybe better if possible then i might be able to pull this off?

Any recommendations on what records to buy and where?

fsmithjack-

Good to hear you're making progress with your journey.

Yes, the interpretations of my entries should be read as just a point of view, and nothing else.

Many who are SS listeners seem to like what a tube phono stage adds. It may however, induce MORE neurosis with tube rolling! Also, if you're one of those who insist on absolute quiet, SS prevails. I'm not the type who puts their ear against the speaker to hear tube rush.

Ever notice mag review write ups on  SS phonostagesinclude something like this-" brand X almost sounds tubelike?"
Subjective like everything else, but something to ponder.After that, spending time with the existing cart is suggested. If more audio excitement is desired, I would read cartridge reviews for possible enlightenment.

Off topic stuff which may be helpful-

Are you also putting energy on room treatment/speaker setup? It can be the deal breaker with ANY level of gear. Many of us have to listen to our investment in a living space, so we are not hearing our setup in its best light.

Article on cable:
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#introduction

It focuses on speaker cable, but touches other areas which you may find
helpful with completing the puzzle.

Once you think your gear is settled, record preference is yet another subject of polarizing views.