Favorite band or artist of all time?

1st of all Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone at Audiogon!
I've Have been thinking about it(hundreds of choices)and lately  just wondering, If you had to pick just one, what would be your favorite band or artist of all time???
 Extremely hard decision!, but Mine would be Elton John.
(deeply rooted since I was 10 or 11) Old fart now😎
128x128arcam88
You are SO right, boxer. That album was a desperately-needed relief from what everyone was listening to (Jimi, Cream, The Dead---another band with fierce defenders, Zeppelin of course---who ended up being perhaps the most influential band of all time, for reasons which escape me). I love it's home-made, unprocessed sound. Speaking of a song being finished, The Band were really good at coming up song beginnings and endings, a talent not shared by many other bands. One big reason the album is as good as it is, is the production and arranging of John Simon, whom I have called their sixth member.
Re Jimi:
He tried to mimic his idol (Dylan) in lyric writing. Sometimes very good, other times painfully derivative and amateurish. Oh, but his guitar playing--still wow.
For me, it will always be the Allman Bros. Band with Duane Allman.  Saw him live in 71, he had The Touch on slide and the band was tight.  I still think Live at the Fillmore is the best kive album of all time.

Just one old guys view.  Cream would be second on my list for many reasons.