Threat of fire from audio equipment

Just read Art Dudley's new piece in Stereophile, and found myself becoming all sorts of worried. For many, many years now, I've left solid state equipment powered on -- except during thunderstorms or when heading away from home for extended periods. Now, I'm rethinking this practice.

See Mr. Dudley's article here:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/listening-193-nordost-flatline-cables

My questions:

Is what happened to him the rarest of things, like someone's being struck by lightning? Is putting an amp (or another piece) into standby mode any better than leaving it on -- when it comes to preventing fire, that is -- or can a unit in standby mode burst into flames just like one that's powered on fully? Do others worry about fire? As much as I appreciate a fully warmed-up system, if fire is a legitimate concern, I'll routinely switch things off when I'm not around and listening. Or about to listen.

I'd love to learn what others -- especially those who understand engineering and electricity -- do with their equipment.

Thanks very much.

Howard

hodu
I remember the time I informed a fellow soldier that the Lithium batteries we were using needed to be popped before they are disgarded and moved away from other batteries. And they were not to be placed into big piles. Breaking a seal , popping them, allowed the last fumes to be released away from everything outside. Of course many soldiers did not care to understand and the batteries were piled up. After a brief field training excercise, we arrived back to find one whole bay of our motor pool caught fire because of lithium gas buildup. So yeah I am safety conscience...
Fires happen, fumes can cause many problems and I would never want to lose any family members of home damage because of potential problems. I think this thread can make people think about possibilities, however remote they may be.
Let’s not forget smokers who smoke while taking oxygen, just saw one yesterday at the hospital where I work....
third degree burns to his face and neck. He probably never thought it would ever happen to him....
Some "smart" phones have a history of burning people, homes and cars. How many carry theirs around in fire-proof enclosures, or turned off?
Hodu, I read the Dudley article and thought it was unfortunate.  But then again, I don't think Dudley's experience reflects a typical audiophile.  He's into esoteric and/or vintage tube amplifiers which truth be told, I wouldn't leave unattended either.  Also, he swaps out dozens of pieces of equipment a year.  If a fire is going to happen, it would happen to someone fitting his specific profile.  For a typical solid state amp/preamp/dac or even a small tube preamp owner, fire and explosions are not something to give much thought to.
Someone mentioned a power substation burning and the resulting possibility of damaged equipment.  I'm just not going to lose sleep.  An unnamed rogue nation in western Asia sending malware or a virus to corrupt your computer/music server/phone is far more probable.
Reminds me of a 1KW isolation transformer in the TV repair workshop where I worked which went bad. It was mounted on the wooden partition and the really loud vibration and plume of smoke were astonishing.
Post removed