Cartridge new or used ?

How do I know if a cartridge is new or used and number of hours played ? 1- If it is bought from an individual or 2- Could it be that a HiFi store sells used or a "Demo" without anyone knowing it? 3- Is a cartridge that remains on the shelf of the store for 3 or 4 years, retains its same performance or its internal parts, can harden and lose their flexibility of reading? 4- Is it easy with a magnifying glass to see the wear of a cartridge, if so what would be the best magnification to use?
audiosens
@daveyf

chakster, if you don’t believe me, read what stevecham wrote above. Your ’advice’ is going to result in folks damaging their LP’s...unfortunately. . As i stated before, I am certain yours are damaged beyond repair at this point, as your vintage stylus is nice and sharp!

I’m happy to ignore what @stevecham said exept his last passage below:

Personally, I never buy used cartridges.

A person who never buy used cartridges can’t comment on the subject. It’s obvious to me, but not to you for some reason.

If you will ever buy a brand new super expensive cartridge (i know you can’t choose) to play with it for 200-500 hrs do you think it will be a big mistake for any other member (in theory) to buy it from you to enjoy another 500-1000 hours ?

Your thoughts about worn records is something that i don’t understand at all. I have some records in multiple copies, normally i use one copy while another copy is unused on the shelf. We can easily compare them in 5 years. According to your statement the used copy will be totally worn?

I have some favorite record for 20 years in rotation and they are still nice, as another member pointed out, some 40 years old records are better than brand new. Surely we’re not talking about records in VG (bad) condition, but if the used record is MINT- or even VG+ in conservative grading then it’s fine. All vintage records have been played with cheap conical or elliptical diamonds and not by audiophiles, those records sonically are superior to 99% of the brand new releases.

@uberwaltz said:

You definitely have some deep rooted trust issues. And your comments about doctored feedback is highly amusing.
But to each their own, I have no problem with anybody who prefers to go the route you advocate but please do not harbour malice to those who DO decide to buy used and save a fortune potentially.

Why is my bad fortune amusing to you? THAT response is defensive and apparently struck a sore point with you. Perhaps you’ve been on the other end of a deal where you have felt unfairly accused of selling damaged or defective merchandise.

As a buyer, have zero tolerance for dishonest sellers who misrepresent their goods, especially on Internet commerce sites like fleabay. I speak from personal experiences, three in recent times where I’ve had to get fleabay and/ or PayPal involved for a refund.

Please tell me that you are not defending sellers who deliberately do not disclose damaged and defective items. If you had the same experiences that I’ve had, you would act so defensively and might even show some compassion.

Lastly, please explain to me how I’m “harbouring malice” to people who decide to buy used things.
Post removed 
Sleepwalker.
I have absolutely zero idea how you took my reply and construed what you did out of it. Additionally I am having a hard time even understanding your follow up points?
If I offended you in some way I did not intend to and apologise for your distress.

To cut to the chase all I was saying if you do not trust sellers of used carts that is fine and no problem to me at all. I only assume from your distrust that you have unfortunately been burned by some unscrupulous seller for which I sympathise .
However again do not place ALL sellers in the same category and if others are having good luck with used carts then it is what it is and you should not denounce the practice of buying/selling used carts in general.
Leaves more for the rest of us anyways!

And that should be enough said on the subject.

Remember that part about common sense? People who are prone to impulse buys and NOT doing thorough research should probably NOT buy used carts.
Just IMHO.
@sleepwalker65

Why would you go vintage when brand-new, I’m-abused Audio-Technica Micro-Line cartridges are available everywhere at reasonable prices? (Thanks Chakster) I prefer a known commodity, and it’s worked out superbly with my VM540ML cartridges.

Do you know who was the designer of the Audio-Technica top of the line MM cartridges in the 80s?  I wish to know, because some of the best cartridge designers are no longer in business. Sadly we can not buy a cartridge from Ikeda, Nori, Takeda.. anymore, but their cartridges are hand build and voiced/tuned by the masters themselves. For this reason we can only buy vintage, hoping to find a NOS or perfect (nearly unused) working sample. 

Another reason is unobtained material and methods used in the 80s, but not available today which makes those old models unique compared to new models. 

It does not mean that the new cartridges are bad, but if we're looking for something unique then we have rare cartridges from the golden age on analogue. It's all about curiosity after all.