Best multi channel amp and processor good for 2 channel listening.

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and have a few questions in reference to HT processors.  I am starting from scratch and switching from a Krell S-1000 and S-1500.  I sold the processor a few months back and I going to list here the amp.

I am currently considering the new Bryston 9B3 and the SP4 and decision was based on upgrade ability and warranty. The speakers for HT will be Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home and for 2 channel Verity Otello’s.  My second choice was Classe but I was informed that they have all sales on hold, this is concerning.  I have not listened to either, my choice is based on reviews and the Bryston dealer.  My decision was also based they are both good for two channel, I am not set on this but it will help the budget and space.  I am looking for a warm and good over all sound; some might say 3 dimensional sound, clarity is also a factor.  Actually, all I’ve read in reference to Classe fits the bill.  I would like a couple of other choices to include in my short list and opinions are welcome. The budget for the processor and amp is approx. 22k.  

Thanks to all.....
maguiar
Hi mzk,

I am thankful for your imput and this is exactly why I started this topic.  I am older and not technical at all but really love and appreciate good sound, so please bare with me.  

Originally, I was considering going with a good sounding quality amp maybe the Bryston 9B3 and the Anthem AVM 60, but would still need to add a 2 channel for music.  I’ve read the SP4 is good for 2 channel and considering Bryston’s future upgrades, this was considered.  Any suggestions on a good two channel amp for my Verity’s? I will also look into the Arcam you suggested. 

Any news on Classe? I spoke to one of their only dealer I found in my state and they are being kept in the dark, plus all orders were stopped for now.

To answer your question I am looking in having set up a 7.1 system. 

Thanks again,

Marilyn
used Oppo 95,105,205 + used  Bryston 9B-ST. use Oppo build in volume control and directly link to Bryston.
The Bryston Cubed "B3" series is a very fast amp.  Don't get me wrong, It is very high resolution and an excellent performer, but it will sound bright and lean on the bass/midbass if you pair it with a very fast preamp/processor, such as the Anthem.  The Bryston SP3 processor has their fully discrete Class A analog stages and it is very warm and full - I have tested this processor.  It was just too warm/full/slow for my system, but it may work great with the ultra-fast 9B3 amp.  The SP4 processor is just overkill and I don't think you are looking for a 16 channel Dolby Atmos solution.   The new SP4 processor is basically the Storm Audio processor with a "Bryston" faceplate and software.  I don't know if they even have the "Bryston" discrete Class A analog stages developed for this yet.  I think I read that Bryston would upgrade them for free if you bough the processor now.  Timing could be in the next 6 months or so.  Oh, another thing, the new SP4 internal DAC will do everything at 48khz, so the hi-res audio such as 24/96 or 24/192 will automatically be down-converted to 24/48.    This is not a problem with the previous SP3 processor (which is still available as a current product).  The digital architecture between SP3 and SP4 are completely different.

----
Other processors that would mate well with the 9B3 amp are Marantz AV8805.  This is a very excellent processor.  It has a very large power supply and it also has a lot of bass/midbass power and slam/excitement.  It is voiced warm, so the high frequencies are slightly rolled off, but it would be an excellent pairing with the 9B3 amp, especially since you are looking for a "warm' type signature.  Another possibility is a McIntosh processor (such as MX122 or MX160).  The SP3 does not have the "rolled off highs" that the Marantz does, but it is a slower responding sound then the Maratnz, so it might still be a good mate with 9B3 amp.  Be aware that the Marantz and/or McIntosh processors will likely also be limited to 48Khz on the internal DAC/DSP, even though you are sending higher sampling rates to the device.

----
Just for comparison, the Krell S1000 and S-1500 combination is NOT a warm sounding system.  The Krell devices are very high resolution and fast responding.  They will come across somewhat bright/thin sounding at time, especially since the power supply in their processors are undersized (in my testing and opinion).