How important is it for you to attain a holographic image?

I’m wondering how many A’goners consider a holographic image a must for them to enjoy their systems?  Also, how many achieve this effect on a majority of recordings?
Is good soundstaging enough, or must a three dimensional image be attained in all cases.  Indeed, is it possible to always achieve it?

128x128rvpiano
I've heard many audio systems which had tons of air, ambiance and 3D holographic sound.  The best were monitor size speakers and one or two way implementation.  There was one in an Einstein equiped room that had the recording sound like it had 50' in back of it, pinpoint imaging while the actual room was only about 8' deep behind the speakers.  They were spectacular for that purpose.  HOWEVER, in my large audio room, there would be missing dynamics and bass.  Exactly why I don't own stats any longer.  Large. expensive speakers with the 3D holographic imaging tended to have music which I will not listen to, simple vocals of Barber and Krall, simple jazz or rock with a bass, drums and guitar (rarely a piano in site-too demanding to reproduce correctly).  We just have to agree to disagree.
Furthermore, the acoustic treatments of the listening room are of paramount importance.  Diffusion of mids and highs are useful for the interiors (and absorption of the bass in the walls).  I use a mixture of SR HFTs and two pairs of Shakti Hallographs to obtain optimal soundstage and imaging.  In my new home, I may switch to high end diffusion panels along the rear and front walls.  It is cheaper to treat the room than just buy more equipment.  
Holographic imaging is not the be all and end all of audio. But when your system has excellent timbre, texture, pace and dynamics---and then you tune it in to the nth degree (speaker placement/room treatments) --it can result in holographic imaging which, to me, is musical heaven. 

Flesschler, in regard to the music, I listen to a lot of "Blue Note" jazz recorded by RVG. That has absolutely nothing to do with holography, but everything to do with the content and quality of the music; holography happens when it happens depending on the record.

I have no idea what we have to agree to disagree about. While most certainly you will not get holography with less than high quality speakers, the size of the speakers are dependent on the size of your room. "holography" is a function of the speakers, the amp, the pre-amp, the turntable, the cartridge, (or CD player), and last but not least, "the room". All of these items must function as one unit; there is no magic "holography button" on the speakers or the rest of the components required to deliver good sound.

I play music the same as someone with a one box rig; what I want to hear at any given moment without any regard for holography.

The biggest perk in my rig is the acquisition of a new collection; meaning the music I acquired 50 years ago is fresh, sparkling, and new.

Since you must have everything else that is desirable in a rig before you can get to "holography", I say it is the most desirable because you can not get to holography before you get to everything else.

gpgr4blu said;

Holographic imaging is not the be all and end all of audio. But when your system has excellent timbre, texture, pace and dynamics---and then you tune it in to the nth degree (speaker placement/room treatments) --it can result in holographic imaging which, to me, is musical heaven.

"Holographic imaging" is the result, for me, of 30 years hard labor that will be complete after I get professional room treatment. It is the "result", not a single item in and of itself, like tone or timbre, but the result of every component functioning as one unit to deliver heavenly music to your specifications.
30 years of hard labor?

Sounds like a prison sentence to me!

Anyway, I won’t be around then.