VPI Classic 3 or SME 20/2

Hello all - I'm considering moving from my Classic 3 with 10.5 3D arm to the SME 20/2 with SME V arm and I wanted to see if anyone out there has made this move (or a similar move) and if so what are your impressions. I'm using a Benz LPS cartridge right now and use the Allnic AUT2000 step-up transformer into the MM phono stage of my VAC integrated (sigma 160i). Overall I am very happy with my vinyl sound right now - I'm only considering trying the SME because it is available for a good price within driving distance and it's such a ballyhooed tt that so many seem to consider a destination piece. (I also, like many of you I imagine, enjoy trying new gear.) But it will be a bit of hassle doing everything involved to make it happen and so if it is going to be largely a lateral move I'd prefer to avoid the effort. I'm aware that the SME V doesn't allow for azimuth and on-the-fly VTA adjustments. Have also read that the Benz LPS is a nice match for the SME V. Also painfully aware that there's no way to know without hearing with my own ears - I can (and will) audition the SME but I never have much success getting a feel for other gear in short auditions in unfamiliar rooms. So any impressions out there would be much appreciated. 
davelarz
Ten years from now the SME will still be a top dog and known quality; the VPI will be: “Wait, which line? Model? Mk #? Year? Drive system? Platter? How many pivots on the arm? etc...”
I have no opinion to offer.  The sound will likely be different.  But would it be better?

I notice that the responses here are all sort of market-trading ones.  Very Audiogon-y!  No one has offered an opinion on your principal question which is what can you expect in SQ if you move from the VPI to the SME system.  Since you say you are currently "very happy" with your vinyl SQ, that's an important consideration.  If it were me, the only consideration.  

One thing you might do is look for an old SME thread here or elsewhere  and revive it.  Since there are so many VPIs out there perhaps someone has already made a similar trip and would comment.

Melm - I've looked at what SME/VPI conversations exist here and at other places. Not much, a thread comparing the HRX with the 20/2 from 2006 I think. And yes it's true I'm happy with my vinyl sound now. But surely you are familiar with the itch to be just that much more... happier.

Fstein... but I like my speakers. Do you even know what speakers I have? I don't think I mentioned that in this thread. Maybe I filled out a "your system page" here at some point that I don't remember. 

Anyway I have Verity Parsifal Encores and I like them.