Turntables

I am kicking the idea of trying out vinyl. It’s been a long time since I had a turntable and it took a lot of thought whether I can deal with what always seemed like the snap, crackle & pops of an album. Anyway, I’ve decided to take a plunge after all the buzz how awesome it is. Of course before I make any final decisions, I always turn to the Audiogon community for their expert thoughts, opinions and education. I’m also looking for suggestions for a nice affordable table with tone arm and cartridge. Being the fact this is new to me and I may hate it, I’m looking for suggestions on the best affordable set up I can do for a new or used in the price range of $1000/$1500. I’m sure I can get a better bang for the buck going used. I just don’t know anything about these animals. My system is older but I still enjoy it which consist of a Mark Levinson 23.5 amp, Proceed AVP 2+6 used for 2 channel audio, Audio Acoustics model 9 speakers, Ayre DAC for digital with Transparent Audio Ultra mm2 cables. Any input is greatly appreciated!
128x128luvrockin
luvrockin
I just don’t know anything about these animals.

luvrockin

I know personally of six people in the last two years that tried vinyl. Four were out within 6 months. Of the other two - one has the setup still, but does not use it much,  the other fellow does. Now six people is not a high sample number, but according to my experience 16.6% will stick with it.

Learning vinyl setup is like learning to drive stick. In both cases the C's - Clutch and Cartridge are the victims. So for this reason whatever you decide - if you do decide to try it out, my recommendation is to go cheap on the cart to start. Whether by an accident, or improper setup (i.e. antiskating) it will take some abuse. Also a good table and tonearm and cheap cart, set up proper, will, out perform the same table and tonearm with an expensive cart that is not set up good.  

Turntables are not plug and play going forward either. Your settings can go out, on some designs, if the table is moved or bumped. This all means having a turntable long term means learning how to do proper setup yourself at some point. For the 1) turntable, 2) tonearm, 3)cartridge, and the type of 4) connection and loading to the phono stage. Four very different things that need to work together.
Hope this helps.

I have a new Thorens TD-203 w/ Ortofon 2m Blue cartridge. Very detail, musical with excellent pace and rhythm. I’m so impressed with what I have that if I steped up to your price range I’d get the Thorens TD-309 w/ Ortofon 2m Bronze or Black.

I bought mine from Rutherford Audio, the US importer which sells the TD309 for $1500 w/ 2m Bronze. Highly reviewed table and highly rated dealer. My 2¢.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thorens-TD-309-in-White-New-with-Ortofon-2m-Bronze/253999150810?hash=item3b...
@chakster - The reason I was looking for used is because I was in a budget of $1500 hopefully complete. As I stated initially, I'm new to vinyl so I really wasn't aware of all the in's and out's. $1500 was hopefully a table and cartridge to plug and play. I can't buy a new Technics 1200 alone for $1500. @ Guitar Center which sells them they are $1699 plus tx. At the boutique audio store I deal with, they are $2k. Now add the cartridge and I found out I need a phono pre. Im at $2500 to $3k. I can't do that especially if I'm just jumping in. I have pretty awesome digital and I'm hoping vinyl is going to rock my analog world. If it don't, its gone as quickly as I bought it lol! I get your a huge Technics guy and if found a SL-1200G/GR for $1000  or $1100, adding the extra's (cartridge & phono pre) on top are more achievable. I hope this makes sense.
Try this on US Audio Mart or another one from Canada @luvrockin 
I see your point, but saving on Turntable is a bad idea if the difference is not that big. I'm sure you can find some decent MM/MI cartridges for $200-300.  
Do you have no where you can go and listen to a good vinyl set up just to see if it would even be worth your while?