Herron VTPH-2A / Origin Live Conqueror / Koetsu Black Goldline

E-Ticket

Ever wonder, "Yeah, but how much better is it, really?" Which, when you get down to it, comes down to, "Would the average person really care? Or even notice?"

Almost always, if we're honest, the answer is, "No."

Some years ago I upgraded from the highly praised and justifiably respected Graham 2.0 tone arm (with upgrades) to the much less well known (stateside, anyways) Origin Live Conqueror. The Graham does a lot of things right, totally earns its rep, but the Conqueror is a whole other realm. There comes a point with some components where to run down the list of attributes just seems so pointless, when its so much better across the board its a whole lot easier and more accurate to simply say, this is a whole new realm.

That's what I got from the Conqueror. The wife, not so much. Never even noticed. Not one comment, pro or con.

Few weeks ago a new Koetsu Black Goldline replaced my Benz Ruby H. Same thing, whole new realm. Everyone lauds the legendary Koetsu midrange. Deservedly so. Its just spooky real! What they almost never say though is that Koetsu magic isn't just midrange. Its everything. Its music. Its power and silence and dynamic shadings and, well the whole package wrapped up and delivered in such a way as makes you want to forget about all that stuff. With all my prior cartridges for example I would tweak VTA every record and notice, and only be happy when it was right, and even thought this constant fine tuning was one of the most important elements to good LP playback. With the Koetsu, once I got it dialed in it sounded so good I just totally lost interest in anything but relaxing into the music.

That's what I get from the Koetsu. The wife, not so much. Never even noticed. Not one comment, pro or con.

Even though, around this same time, I also got some Synergistic Research ECTs and Blue Quantum Fuse. Just one ECT is enough to get me going. One Quantum Fuse even more so. All together, while a really nice upgrade they are not to my ears game changers in the league of the Conqueror or Koetsu. I was sure all this together with the Koetsu would spark a comment. But no. My wife actually sat down and listened a while without ever saying anything one way or another.

Then the Herron came. In fairness, Keith tried to warn me. It'll sound "completely different" than my Audio Research PH3-SE, Mr. Herron had told me, and "It'll sound good right out of the box."

I'll say.

When of course nobody by now cares what I think. All I can add anyway is the same old same old, with maybe a new twist on realms, universes, whatever the plural of cosmos is. By now, if you are not clued in that its all about the wife, well then its back to Expository Writing 101 for me!

But first, a little about my listening room.

The result of a major remodel (some would say rebuild) my listening room is about more than having good sound in the room. Its also about no sound- getting in, or going out. So instead of the usual 1/2" sheetrock there's 5/8" sheetrock. (Stops sound almost twice as good as 1/2"!) Over 1/2" sound board. Over, because this is a remodel, exterior plywood and siding. With a solid core door. With weather-stripping. Nowhere near professional studio standards, yet well above even very good residential construction.

Okay. So I'm sitting in my listening room enthralled with the Herron, blissfully (thanks to the weather-stripped solid core door) unaware of my wife clamoring around in the kitchen. Until, that is, she opens the door, sticks her head in and says, "Dear, did you do something? It sounds completely different!"

Well, what could I do? I mean, what could I do?

"Yeah I was busy today cleaning all the connections."

And off she goes. Whew. Close one!

Until, later on that same night she catches me in the kitchen. "Dear, it sounds completely different!"

"I know. I took everything apart. Cleaned everything. Used to do this at least once a year but I let it go, been more like 10 years. Really needed it."

Keep in mind, she has not yet even been in the room. This is all through the door.

Next day she actually comes in the room. Thought for a minute she was going to sit down but then, "Dear, its like completely different system. What did you do? You bought something. What did you buy?" (Guessing.) "Did you buy a new amplifier?"

"Sort of. Phono stage. That thing down there."

And now, the coup de grace. What you all know is coming. Which. Did. Not. Come!

So now, on top of asking yourself just how good a component has to be to make your wife come and tell you how good it is- and not once, not twice, but three times, unasked!- on top of that wonder at how good it has to be to make your wife not even think about how much it cost.

Not some audiophile. Not even some average person. Your wife.

Sure I could go on and on about how great this thing is. About how dead silent and black the silence between the notes is, about how startlingly real every tonal signature is, about how it had me catching myself slack jawed mouth agape all but drooling and trying to get my mind around how a phono stage somehow made my system lose what for years I just kind of assumed was some sort of tonal signature probably coming from the speakers, only I never even knew it was there until it was gone, its frankly just guessing, all I know is its gone, its all gone, the whole enchilada just gone, just this music now somehow floating there in the room, ephemeral yet palpably real as all get-out.

But what would be the point? You heard the wife. Nuff said.
128x128millercarbon
I had to do a little trouble shooting with mine, cover off, and mentioned to Keith
I was taking the opportunity to roll some tubes. To make a long story short, no, NOS tubes could compete with his stock tubes 😊
dodge alum, I mentioned how many times I've been a little shocked at how real it sounds. A wood block or rim shot is so incisively sharp and true to life. A bass line comes in on a Jennifer Warnes track I know by heart, only now its not just full-bodied wolly bass, the bass is clean and there's a female chorus doubling it and you can hear the lyrics, practically even count the individual voices! Keith said this is timing, which I was able to drag him down into trying to explain to my mathlexic mind the Fourrier Transform relationship between frequency and timing, when he said, "I think it really helps the performers musical intent come through."

So on top of all the fanatical (his word!) devotion to accuracy is an equally deep love of music. 

jmolsberg, based on what Keith told me you'll find it pretty close to impossible to improve on his tube selection. Unless maybe you like something that imposes its own sound on the music. And noise. You would have to prefer more noise. Or you could buy and throw away a couple hundred tubes to maybe find 5 that are.... almost exactly what you had to begin with.

The more Keith tells me about what goes into one of these the more amazed I am that he's able to offer them at such a reasonable price.
Millercarbon ...

Thanks for a very well written report. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I hope you’ll continue with your posts. :-)

Speaking of origin live ... If you have a belt drive turntable, do yourself a favor and order a custom belt from originlive.com. Its a major upgrade for such an inexpensive tweak. You can actually hear it break in over an hour or so while it’s playing. Better dynamics, more of a 3D presentation and less grain. 

Frank

Frank, the table I use is of my own design, described in my post above dated the 18th. Here's an early photo http://www.teresaudio.com/fame/cmiller.jpg
At this time it was powered by an early Teres motor pod using the silk thread in the photo. Building this table was an iterative or developmental process with a lot of learning at each step. First was hard wiring a better power cord to the original Basis motor. Next was trying the silk thread, which turned out to work better than the Basis rubber belt. Then came upgrading to using the Teres motor on the Basis. Because each step was discrete, changing just one thing at a time, I learned a lot about how each of these affects performance.

At the same time I was learning a lot about vibration control. Nothing in my experience comes even close to the Black Diamond Racing carbon fiber Cones, Pucks and Shelfs. Unlike everything else the technology of these is built into the composites themselves. It seemed so natural that a turntable, the component above all others that benefits from a stable, stiff, and highly damped construction, should be made of the stiffest most highly damped material known, carbon fiber composites. Not that it was easy. But well worth the effort.

Today the Miller Carbon is driven by the rim drive Tires Verus motor. http://www.teresaudio.com/verus-motor.html 

I've never seen or heard an Origin Live table. I've never even seen any other Origin Live arm besides mine! They seem pretty rare here in America. Based on their arm though I would be surprised if their turntables aren't equally impressive. Not that I'm the least bit tempted. I'm way too happy with mine.