Azimuth adjustment on VPI Scoutmaster

Hello,
I was looking for some advice on the azimuth adjustment of the VPI Scoutmaster. The problem: If I set the azimuth with the lemo connector unplugged, when I plug it in later the azimuth is no longer correct (because the lemo connector and tonearm wire pull the arm slightly inward). I therefore decided that it would be best if I made the azimuth adjustment with the lemo connector plugged in. Is this correct? Anybody have any experience here?

Thanks.

Tom
tfkaudio
Thanks. I was pretty sure that the adjustment would need to be made with the lemo connected, but there is always that little seed of doubt...
I have a Superscoutmaster......In my experience proper azimuth adjustment is the most important adjustment.  VPI arms balance on a single point and will rock when imbalance occurs.  There is now a 2nd pivot which is on sale now that stabilizes the arm and greatly enhances the performance. Proper azimuth can be had with the use of a Fozgometer and its accompanying test record...easy and effective. Test with the lemo connection in place.
A few suggestions from my own experience. 

Yes, with the Lemo in place.  I find the Soundsmith Counter-Intuitive device to be very useful for making small changes in VTF and azimuth with minimal change in the other.  I use an AT cartridge.  I find this brand to be excellent at mounting styli so that when the cartridge is level the azimuth is, at least, extremely close to optimal.  Probably because of large-scale manufacture.

I judge the azimuth by ear.  I've read enough about the Fozgometer to avoid it.  Start with a level cartridge.  Use a magnifying glass to view the stylus in the groove.  With the CI you can make small adjustments.  Use your ears for the best adjustment.  And as VPI is fond of saying: Don't obsess.

Just my $.02.
The counterintuitive was very much needed when the 2nd pivot was not available.  Now, it is mildly helpful, but I would not buy it....just a convenience for the initial setup.  The second pivot stabilizes the azimuth adjustment and simplifies ownership.
Just for the record, I am not a fan of the second pivot.  Assuming the compliance of your cartridge is within reasonable bounds it should not be necessary.  Single point designs have proven their value over the years. 

The VPI second pivot is a Rube Goldberg design (contraption, really) intended IMO to appease those uncomfortable with the wobble-while-handling of the single pivot arm.  I believe VPI offered it as a marketing maneuver just as they offered the anti-skate device after years of saying, not only that it was not necessary but, that it made the sound worse.

There are real two point designs out there that are valuable, but not VPI's IMO.

So my comments above apply to single point use.  But YMMV.