What unknown musical artist would you like to share with your fellow audiophiles?

When it comes to music, about half of my friends are "collectors" and the other half are true audiophiles. It seems the collectors are so obsessed with the size of their collections, that they leave no room in their budget for quality audio equipment. I think the audiophiles, with their focus on quality over quantity, are the ones with their priorities straight. So, unless you are on an unlimited budget, I'm guessing that audiophiles are more selective in their musical purchases. That being the case, I'm curious about what "buried treasures" have you been able to find? Thanks for responding and I look forward to discovering some good music, based on your suggestions.

I'll lead off with the band Crack The Sky, most notably their first two albums: "Crack The Sky" (1975) and "Animal Notes" (1976). I would describe them as a cross between Be Bop Deluxe and Frank Zappa. Their music is unique and totally unmistakable with anyone else. Choice cuts from the debut album are: "Ice;" She's a Dancer;" "Mind Baby" & "Sleep." Choice cuts from Animal Notes are: "Animal Skins;" "Wet Teenager;" Virgin....No" & "Maybe I Can Fool Everybody."
mitchagain
Thanks @bdp24 for your stories. As for Duke Levine's session work, I'll add the early Jonatha Brooke albums to your list of where I first heard Duke's playing. I just thought of another guitar player......are you familiar with Johnny A? I like him a lot; but, his use (or over use) of reverb drives one of my friends crazy.
I think you can be a collector without being an audiophile or a music lover. Collecting often takes on its own reason to exist. What is collected can become secondary to the collecting or the collection.

I think you can be an audiophile without being a collector or a music lover. Equipment can get to be the focus or a certain effect like sound stage or holography can become more important to the music.

I think you can be a music lover without being an audiophile or a collector and just enjoy music when and where you find it.

I think being a music lover and an audiophile opens a lot of avenues for enjoyment and appreciation. Add collector to those two and those avenues can become broader or even narrower depending on the impulse to collect.

I’m a music lover first, audiophile second, collector is way down the line even though that impulse might be latent.

I also agree about 21st century music. Especially rock. I know you can find decent stuff if you spend the time and do the legwork. But in years past there was a lot, and I mean a lot, of good stuff right there in your face. I struggle to find new bands that give me any hope for rock and roll. That’s one of the reasons I like The Struts so much. In the same way the Teskey Brother give me hope for the bluesier R&B scene which is pretty stagnant too.

One of the things I like about both of these bands is that even though they are retro, it isn't kitchy or cheesy. They love the older music and are putting their hearts into it. They aren't just cover acts trying to be someone else. They are using the old flavors but making their own dish.
Tash Sultana - New album Flow State released in Sept 2018. Maybe Jimi Hendrix reincarnated.
A great Canadian group that is under the radar in the USA is The Tragically Hip. Lead singer recently died of cancer and the group is no more but check out the first 4 releases. They are the easiest to get into. The newer stuff is also very good but I do love the first few.

Up to Here
Road Apples
Fully Completely
Day for Night

One way I am discovering music is via ROON (or maybe Tidal). I am getting artists added to my virtual library based on the music I have played. I am now starting to appreciate this feature. I know a lot of people complain about this feature because it clutters up their library but I don't mind having to wade through unknown artists on my virtual library.