I want to pick up a vintage SS integrated

Hi, as a stop gap solution, as well as for enjoyment, I wanna pick up a 70's vintage integrated amp.  I have been looking at the Kenwood KA 5700 as well as the KA 405.  Aside from the specs, which one was the higher end model, do you guys know?

My budget is around $500, and I like VU meters.  Around this range, what else could I be looking at?
nitewulf
I've had a Kenwood KA-7100 60 wpc with phono and a headphone jack that has been rock solid since 1978... until just recently. It's a nice integrated with tone controls that aren't too aggressive (has a tone control bypass switch). High and sub frequency filters. The high filter is sometimes good for taming a harsh rock&roll cd. It also has two Loudness settings, again audible but not over done. I do use Loudness #1 fairly often when listening at lower volumes. It also has a stereo, mono, reverse switch, and a tape loop. In contrast to todays equipment, the RCA input jacks are run of the mill, and the power cord is an affixed two-prong lamp cord. 

One of the channels is dead. Been listening on mono, but mostly just the Onkyo 7030 CD with headphones. Looking to up grade in a big way. I have Energy 22 Reference Connoisseur speakers that I will keep.

Not to hijack the thread, but can anyone suggest what happened to one channel? Transistor? I bought it when in college and wouldn't mind fixing it for a second system.
Thanks for the recommendations guys, I've been reading up on the Sansuis as well and they are definitely on the list (recapped). The AU 20000 is a beast! And the only one with meters unfortunately.
Nitewulf:  If it's aesthetics you are after, I cannot help you.  That will be a personal journey.  But I get it.  I thoroughly enjoy dragging out my ST-70 and PAS 3x and hooking them up to some ancient Altec horns.  I have a 100+ year old old oak cabinet Silvertone windup that is a blast to listen to old '78s.  Those early '70s Japanese ss amps have a cool vintage vibe, and recapped and "hot-rodded" can sound pretty decent.  But sound wise, they are bettered by modern well-designed amp from a reputable manufacturer.  There have been many advances in electronics design and manufacturing that are available to modern designers and engineers that enables them to produce high quality gear at very reasonable prices.  The legendary designers of days past did marvelous things with the materials and equipment available to them, but it is disingenuous to think that modern engineers are not "real" and that they all pander to a rarified audience of wealthy patrons.

Please go out and enjoy your vintage journey.  If you are the soldering iron type, it could be very rewarding.  But if I were you, I would consider just going out and buying the Luxman and be done with it.
Fair enough, my comment wasn't geared toward all modern amps, just the ridiculously pricey ones: $60,000 - $150,000 K...I mean, why?

I can get a PS Audio Sprout or a used Peachtree/Emotiva/Wyred4Sound for sure, but these old amps seem to have good specs and measurements as well. Certainly build quality was a lot better than 80's, 90's mainstream products.
In some ways build quality was better, in other ways not.  The chassis and casework is usually heavier gauge, fewer ICs and more discreet wiring.  Pots and connectors were chassis mounted.  Nice wooden cases.  But the components were built to lower tolerances and are not as well matched, and some of the technology available in new amps hadn't been invented yet.

I'm guessing the KA 5700 cost about $350 back in the day.  That would be around $2500 today.  For that money, you could buy a brand new Yamaha A-S1100 (complete with VU meters) that would certainly out-perform it and have probably better build quality.  I'm guessing the Yamaha would give the Luxman a run for its money (of course it all depends on your speakers, room. power supply, etc.).

I can understand how a vintage piece in good working order (new caps, etc.) would be a reasonable "stop-gap" option (if you can find one at your price point).  It could also be an interesting DIY project, if you are so inclined.

My gear is not very glamorous.  Being of modest means, I selected for sound quality over aesthetics.  But inside those plain looking steel cases are some excellent electronics.  My speakers look pathetic, but they sound good.  The turntable I am currently using is certainly not styled to my taste, but it works well.  Nobody is impressed when they look at my system.

I certainly would not be satisfied with a $225 Emotiva amp.  My stuff is considerably more expensive. It suits my needs.  However, I doubt that insanely expensive stuff sounds much better than what I have.  At a certain point the law of diminishing returns kicks in.  It's like my $250 watch.  Stainless case, Swiss mechanical movement, Sapphire crystal.  I doubt that a $10,000 Rolex keeps better time.  But I wouldn't mind having one!