RMS Power?

I often see power specifications like "100W RMS".  There is no such thing as RMS power.  Of course, you can calculate RMS value from any curve, including power curve, but it won't represent anything.  "Real" power representing heat dissipated in resistive load is "Average Power"   Pavg=Vrms*Irms.   In case of sinewaves Pavg=0.707Vpeak * 0.707Ipeak = 0.5Ppeak,  or Ppeak = 2Pavg. 

Term "RMS Power" or "watts RMS" is a mistake, very common in audio.
128x128kijanki
@kijanki . FWIW some respected manufacturers quote power output as for example 200 watts RMS. I am with atmosphere - the term is used,usefully, in the trade, for amplifiers. This is not hard for you to verify. Interesting post thanks. 
That would be instaneous power or instaneous heating, agreed?

Yes.

The RMS ... defines its DC heating value.

Yes.

The RMS also defines how power varies as a function of time ...

Well, if the waveshape is known, for example if it is known to be a sine wave, then of course one can determine the amplitude of that waveform from the RMS value. But I don’t see how my statement that you were referring to is contradictory, as you claimed. My statement, once again, being as follows:

... what the words "RMS power" literally mean is the RMS value of a waveform that defines how power varies as a function of time.

Honestly, I think you may be misreading my statement.

Would you care to tell me why an amplifier producing 100 watts RMS is any different than an AC generator producing 100 watts RMS.

The 100 watts is the same in both cases, of course. I have never said anything that is in any way to the contrary, and as far as I can recall neither has Kijanki.

And then please where 141 watts comes from. What kind of inbetween power is that to be called?

As I have said, it is the RMS value of a sinusoidal power waveform having a peak value of 200 watts.

There are 18 complaints about this article on the talk page of which 13 and 14 pretty much kill the whole thing. If kijanki learned this from articles like this then he is in the same mistaken camp. Shall we leave him there?

The fact that the article has numerous flaws has nothing to do with the subject matter of this thread. And Kijanki is a very experienced engineer who doesn’t need any such help.

I have nothing further to say on this matter.

Regards,
-- Al

@almarg 
And then please where 141 watts comes from. What kind of inbetween power is that to be called?

As I have said, it is the RMS value of a sinusoidal power waveform having a peak value of 200 watts.

Well its not. We have agreed that a 100 watt RMS amplifier supplies 40 volts peak into an 8 ohm load. 40 x 40 / 8 = 200 last time i checked. 

As Monty Python says... say no more, say no more.
Post removed 
Al, I was right (he is not going to get it). RMS value of ANY sinusoidal waveform, having peak at 200 (of any unit) is 141 (of the same unit). 100W would be an average power value corresponding to VrmsxIrms and equal to half of peak power for sinewave (and equivalent to amount of DC power producing the same amount of heat). Guys, please, this is EE101.