inherent design flaws with a 3 way, 15" / 8" / horn (large tower) speaker?

hello

I see precious few classic large 3-ways (15" woofer 8" mid and a large horn) being developed these days, at least amongst the speaker designers I run across.

Is there an INHERENT reason, other than size, why a large tower-style speaker can't match the musicality of what seems to be the dominant designs these days (2-way bookshelf, or MTM)?
ovaklakah
It depends what waveguide is used (SEOS?). However, it is very hard to get a 1” tweeter/compression driver to blend with an 8” without having increased directivity (narrower soundstage, and maybe worse imaging). Unless using a super waveguide, I wouldn’t use a midrange larger than 5.5”.  
Today I heard Western Electric 2 way 100db/W speakers with horn and 18 inch woofer in Korea.

It has the most dynamic and natural sound that I had heard for the last 10 years.

It will be my dream speakers.

But with cost of 250 K$, it is not easy to make decision to get it.

Also it is huge and heavy requiring large and high listening room.
Shkong78, you are a lucky fellow to have heard those WE speakers.  Do you know which WE units these were?
Horns fell out of favor due to there lack of color and tone .  Others called them shouty as well.  I know from experience and ownership. I own La Scalalas and Heresys  (my first '76) still match ok with small old McIntosh.  But the big ones yep 15 inch non breathable woofeers still a struggle.
A 15 inch woofer can go up to 800hz easily in a two-way system. Altec A7's (VOTT). Same for the Altec 19. Why waste money on car speakers? Vintage Altec 15's can easily be found on EBay and other sites.