ONKYO TX-NR905

Hi all!

Anyone of you have the TX-NR905 receiver? I have a quick question about this receiver. When I am listening to either PURE AUDIO or DIRECT, I don't hear any sound coming out of the subwoofer. The PURE AUDIO and DIRECT sounds really good but no bass. I am using THX certified satellite speakers all around in a 5.1 setup. All my 5.1 speakers are small and can not produce bass. That's why I have a subwoofer.

Thanks for any advice!!!
mantaraydesign
I could drive my Wilson WP7s without a problem and got the best sound with the Audessy calibrated and Stereo mode. I used a Velodyne SPL1200R sometimes but found it a bit slow when listening to music(but nice for movies). I think the 905 is an excellent machine and also at a Very nice price.
use pre out L/R jack on the reciever connect to sub L/R and you might be able to listen with sub in direct or pure audio mode.. Then you will have to adjust the sub by ear to blend it in to your mains.
I was just tweaking the auto MIC and got some odd numbers again for all 8 seats. Below are the results from the auto calibration:

LEFT FRONT SPEAKER: +1db
CENTER SPEAKER: -1db
RIGHT FRONT SPEAKER: +2db
LEFT SURROUND: -2db
RIGHT SURROUND: -3db
SUBWOOFER: -3db

Nothing really matches with the results. When I listened to movies and music, I noticed I had to turn UP the volume quite a bit in order to hear sounds coming from all speakers. So, I went back to the setup menu and adjust all the sound level calibration and here are the NEW adjustment I have made:

LEFT FRONT SPEAKER: +5db
CENTER SPEAKER: +5db
RIGHT FRONT SPEAKER: +5db
LEFT SURROUND: +4db
RIGHT SURROUND: +4db
SUBWOOFER: +4db

Once I boosted those levels up higher, I did not had to keep on turning the volume up way high so I can hear sounds. Everything made a huge difference. The mid bass and the subwoofer bass was powerful and blended together quite nicely. Here is a question for you, what if I adjust all the sound level calibration all the way up, how would that effect the sounds for music and movies? Maybe I will try that tonight but for sure, I will not have to turn up the volume very much to get louder sounds from my speakers. Also, because my speakers are 4ohm, I wonder that is the reason why I need to crank up the sound level calibration and crank up the volume to get reference sound.

My other question I have is the Subwoofer, do I set it to 120Hz (LPF of LFE)? I have set all my 5 satellite speakers
to 80Hz (THX) but my subwoofer is not THX certified. My subwoofer is the Definitive Technology Supercube Reference if that helps. You can take a look at the specs at:

http://www.definitivetech.com/documents/manuals/SuperCube%20Reference/SuperCubes_Manual_12909_read.pdf

Now I will have to buy 2 more surround speakers for a 7.1 setup so I can listen to DTS-ES.

Rather than buy two more speaker, why not put that money into a blu-ray player so that you can listen to DTS-Master HD audio, which you can listen to in 5.1. As to the sub crossover, you can cross it over where ever you like. It doesn't have to be a THX cerified sub to cross over at 80hz. Just experiment and see where it sounds the best and best integrates with your other speakers.
Set your sub x-over @ 80. Then use your ears to fine tune the x-oxer. You have a GREAT HT sub. Def Tech does not waste their time or money getting THX certified.