ONKYO TX-NR905

Hi all!

Anyone of you have the TX-NR905 receiver? I have a quick question about this receiver. When I am listening to either PURE AUDIO or DIRECT, I don't hear any sound coming out of the subwoofer. The PURE AUDIO and DIRECT sounds really good but no bass. I am using THX certified satellite speakers all around in a 5.1 setup. All my 5.1 speakers are small and can not produce bass. That's why I have a subwoofer.

Thanks for any advice!!!
mantaraydesign
Do not set the AVR to Bi-amp unless you have Bi-wire capable speakers and use 2 sets of speaker cables per speaker - one for tweeters and one for woofer - AND no jumpers between the bi-wire speaker terminals. Otherwise, you will damage the AVR and possibly your speakers. My advice is to ignore this option.

Also, if I remember correctly, the Bi-amp option uses the power sections of the two rears in the 7.1 setup, so you are limited to 5.1 if you use Bi-amp to your front speakers. It sounds like you plan to do 7.1, so this is yet another reason to ignore the Bi-amp option.

The Onkyo AVR's have excellent power supplies and should drive your 4 ohm load speakers with no problem, so just leave the BTL/Bi-amp settings at the factory presets.

The purpose of 'pure' and 'direct' modes is to pass analog (un-digitized and unprocessed) sound to two full range front speakers, especially when using a turntable through the phono inputs. The way this (and most every) AVR is designed, it has to convert the analog signal to digital to implement the LFE (subwoofer) channel and that is usually not desireable when using analog sources.

Another side-effect of using 'pure' and 'direct' modes is that the Audyssey room-correction is bypassed. Once you run Audyssey, I think you will prefer the sound using the 'Stereo' mode so that the LFE (subwoofer) channel and the Audyssey room-correction are engaged. Possible exceptions (in addition to using a turntable as a source) are acoustic or chamber music that is recorded well enough to benefit from staying in the analog domain in the AVR. Even then, the D/A converters and the analog section in your disc player (and very good analog interconnects) will have to be better than the Onkyo's or there will be no benefit above using the 'Stereo' mode fed by a good coaxial digital cable from your CDP.

As you become more familiar with the Onkyo, I think you will find that it is designed very intelligently for the purpose it is intended for - to be a full-featured all-in-one component at a relatively low price point. If you desire more audiophile features and cutting-edge sonics, then consider hi-end HT separates such as Anthem, B&K, Marantz, etc.

I looked at the back of my front L/R speakers and can not do a bi-amp. So, BTL is not an option.

Regarding separates, I bought some separates last year and the hum or buzz sounds coming out of my speakers was quite annoying. I had people told me to buy a cheater plug to take out the hum sounds but that did not work. I tried numerous methods to get rid of the hum sound but nothing worked. I spent more time trying to get rid of the hum sounds than enjoying my new separates. I tried brands like Parasound, ADCOM and Classe. They made the hum sounds from my speakers.

I now switched back to receivers because it's dead quiet and not more hassle of trying to get rid of the hum or buzz sounds. Separates also takes up my audio rack space.
The hard facts are that nothing is perfect, so enjoy your Onkyo and be happy!
Post removed 
Dlcockrum - You are correct, nothing is perfect. Back than, I thought Onkyo products sucks! Now, they have improved the sound quality quite much and the styling design is probably the best I have seen on the Market. My complaints for the 905 are minor but so far, I really enjoy listening to it. Harman Kardon makes nice looking receivers as well especially their new Flagship receiver is coming out this year I believe.

Ericjcabrera - Thanks for the good the advice. The problem is that Atlantic Technology do not make floor standing speakers. HA HA HA

I am screwed!!! However, I can buy another Twin Polar surround speakers to match my surround speakers.

MORE COMPLAINTS AGAIN WITH ATLANTIC TECHNOLOGY!!!!

Why don't Atlantic Technology make floor standing speakers? Their THX Certified speakers sounds excellent! I previously owned the Energy Veritas V2.4i systems and it did sound anything close as good as the Atlantic Technology and costing a lot more than the Atlantic. Higher price speakers does not actually sound better in my experience anyway.