ONKYO TX-NR905

Hi all!

Anyone of you have the TX-NR905 receiver? I have a quick question about this receiver. When I am listening to either PURE AUDIO or DIRECT, I don't hear any sound coming out of the subwoofer. The PURE AUDIO and DIRECT sounds really good but no bass. I am using THX certified satellite speakers all around in a 5.1 setup. All my 5.1 speakers are small and can not produce bass. That's why I have a subwoofer.

Thanks for any advice!!!
mantaraydesign
If if you listen to 2 channel music using pure audio or direct and there are no bass coming from the sub, than Onkyo did not do their research very well. Most people have bookshelf speakers rather than floor standing speakers.

I think it is within the setup that I miss. I know Onkyo engineers are not that stupid. How can they miss on people who uses small speakers with subs. It's not like it is new to the market.

The pure audio and the direct mode sounds quite good. My left and right speakers just disappear. The staging and the depth on SACD 2 channel music is simply amazing. My previous receiver was the Sunfire Ultimate Receiver II and I thought that was the best sounding receiver out there. I took a gamble with the 905 and boy what a delight. I just need to figure out how to get the sub to start working while using pure audio and direct mode.

I will contact Onkyo to see what they have to say. I would be a SHOCKER if they tell me that there are no sub sound if you are using pure audio and direct mode.

Post removed 
That sucks!!

Another question I have is when I am watching a DVD movie (TOY STORY 2 or Gladiator) with DTS-ES sound track, I don't see the DTS-ES showing on the display window of the receiver. It just shows DTS but not DTS-ES. Is it because I have a 5.1 speaker setup and not a 7.1 speaker setup? Is there a setting with the 905 so I can hear the DTS-ES sound track?
Post removed 
I just got off the phone with Onkyo. They told me you can not hear the sub while listening with Pure Audio and Direct mode. If you have satellites speakers, you need to listen in Stereo mode ONLY for 2 channel music listening. I have to check out the Stereo mode today to see if it will sound any better than Pure Audio and Direct mode.

Regarding the DTS-ES, they told me it must be in a 7.1 channel setup to get full DTS-ES sounds. (That sucks!!)

So far, the only 2 complaints I have with Onkyo products is that they make you spend more money to full fill their products. Now I will have to buy 2 more surround speakers for a 7.1 setup so I can listen to DTS-ES. I will also have buy 2 full range speakers so I can listen to Pure Audio and Direct mode!

I was setting up the receiver last night and I came by the Bi-Amp & BTL Capable. Since my speakers are satellites, do I need to adjust the setting to either Bi-Amp & BTL? My satellite speakers my blow up since it is not full range speakers. My speakers are rated 4 ohm and recommended power rating at 50-150W for each channel. But before I set the receiver to either Bi-Amp & BTL, I wanted to get some advice before I blow up all my satellite speakers!! ha ha ha