Tavish Design Adagio Owners

Hello 

I know that there must be a few of you out there , since there was a 12 to 14 week waiting period when I had ordered mine and they been made since 2016 .

What tubes are you using ?  Which ones have you tried ?

If you haven't changed your tubes since purchase and you want to try something new
start with the 12AU7 , like I did since it is only one tube , which I have found to have some of the greatest 
influence on the sound .  So far I've tried 3 NOS tubes from the late 50's and the 1 new one , that I am using . 

For the 5751 trio I am currently using 2 new Tung-Sol gold pin cryo treated 5751s in positions 1 and 2 ,
in position 3 I am using a 1959 GE gray long plate 12ax7 .  
For the 12AU7a position I am using a new Genalex Gold Lion gold pin cryo treated tube and 
for the EF86 positions I am using 1972 Tesla EF806s tubes .

This phono pre-amp not only sounds great but is also a whole lot of fun tube rolling !

Rob

128x128vair68robert
Wow 

That's great , did you roll them in one by one or all at once ?

The EF806s Tesla's I am using are" Telefunkens " ,
Tesla was making ( at least ) the EF86s and EF806s
for Telefunken in 1972  and themselves . 

Tube Power Supply = to many $$$$ for me
I was thinking about the upgraded transformers ,
but since I wouldn't be using them for the forceable  future I didn't think it was a good time to spend the extra $510 .

Rob

I did them all at once, since I really didn't feel like doing one or 2 tubes at a time. I also opted for the upgraded transformers when I ordered the Adagio. Scott said that they improved the bass response among other things. Yeah, I will likely not go for the tube-regulated power supply either. That's a LOT of money!
grk

That is a great set up , how did you decide to try the 12BH7
in place of the 12AU7A ?  
I am curious about the sound after reading other opinions on substituting. I had to look up the data sheets on both and would be a little hesitant because of the plate dissipation and the heater current 
differences .
What cartridge are you using ? since you went with the upgraded transformer I'll assume that you are using a MC
or lower output MI or MM .

Rob

Thanks Rob, I do like it a lot! The tubes substitutions are based on Scott's recommendations below: 
"In my own personal Adagio I use Sylvania 6267 for the two EF86 in the second stage (6267 was the US designation for the EF86). NOS 6267 are getting hard to find, however.

For the output tube I use a GE 12BH7 in place of the 12AU7/ECC82. It is a larger tube with higher heater current, but the Adagio heater supply has adequate capacity for it."
Glenn
I am using a Kiseki Purple Heart N.S. which has a .5mv output. The Adagio has plenty of gain for that cart.