The nightmare of the cartridge buyer...

I recently completed a several year quest to acquire a new cartridge. This quest was basically a major PITA and a nightmare!

Why? Well let’s take a look at what will be in store for all cartridge buyers’ in the US...and possibly other countries as well..IF they are seeking a top flite cartridge , like I was.

Firstly, and here’s where a big part of the problem lies: You will typically be unable to audition any cartridge under consideration...certainly not in your own home and more often than not, at your dealers either.

Then we have the fact that these products are closely monitored for who and whom can act as a dealer...which is then severally restricted by territory and distribution. We then add that the pricing is very well controlled...CAN WE SAY PRICE FIXING...which in most states is an illegal practice...but seems to be the rule here.

Let’s begin with my story...and then I am hoping that members will chime in here with their thoughts and probably also their own ’horror stories’....

About three years ago, I decided to acquire a cartridge that would replace my aging but still ok Benz Ruby 2...
I wanted a cartridge that would surpass that Benz in most areas...and one that would be priced at about $3-$5K. A lot of money to be spending on this piece of gear...or so I believed.

At the time, I was considering the following models....Benz LPS MR, Koetsu Urushi and Rosewood Platinum and the Lyra Kleos, Delos, a EMT, the Kiseki Purpleheart, Air Tight ( entry level model at the time..cannot remember what it was called) an Ortofon A90--and a Transfiguration Proteus--lastly one of the ZYX models. After some research, i discovered that the Ortofon’s, the Zyx’s and the Transfigurations wouldn’t work with my set up --due to too low an output by the respective cartridges for my all tube phono stage. So this left the Kiseki, the Koetsu’s, the Lyra’s and the Benz’s...and possibly the Air Tight model.

Circumstances changed and my cartridge buying escapade was put on hold...until a few months back. In the few years since my last foray, I find out that Benz have basically gone out of business ( again!!) and so has Transfiguration. Meanwhile, the Van Den Hul line has come into the US again...this time with a new distributor.
The Zyx line has totally been updated and the Lyra line is now more available than before...at least in theory. The Koetsu are now handled by Music Direct...who have essentially doubled the pricing across the board! Oh, i forgot, the Lyra line has increased by about 25% across the board ( i don’t think inflation can account for this!!)
So where to start auditioning --the answer...nowhere!
Instead I am supposed to rely on various dealers enthusiastic recommendation for these products...except for the fact that one dealer tells me that Koetsu’s are the best thing since mothers milk- and the other tells me that Koetsu’s are horrible with all the faults under the sun...( at least the ones that are in my budget..see above!) Can I hear any of these for myself...either in my system, or at the respective dealers...heck NO! ( and don’t think this type of scenario/ behavior isn’t consistent for other brands as well!--irrespective of whether the dealer(s) carries said brand or not!).

Here I am left with the choice of dropping several thousand dollars on a product that a) has no ability to be heard in my own system..therefore having no clue as to the results that I will get, b) has absolutely no return policy c) can be easily damaged by myself or others in the case of incorrect mounting to the tonearm...and lastly...and this is the one that really annoys me the most: I must shop for these products at a very limited amount of vendors who all are naysaying their competitors and acting extremely unprofessionally in the process. ( Do i really have to talk to the prospective rep for the line in order to determine the compatibility of the cartridge under question with my arm, the reasoning behind the asked price, where the dealer is that should be selling me the piece in question ( so as not to cross territorial lines) and on and on!!)

Then we have this little bonbon...The damn Japanese sourced cartridge(s) is available on several Japanese web sites at a price that is usually 50 -60% of the retail price here in the USA!! And that price in Japan is still at FULL RETAIL! ( Yes, I know it cost a ton of money to ship these things from Japan to here ( since they weigh a ton), LOL).

Where does this leave the US consumer in regards to the acquisition of a top flite cartridge...IMO the answer is between a hard place and a rock..You either pay through the nose and get totally ripped off by the likes of Music Direct and the various small independent reps in the US for these cartridges, or you takes your choice and risk buying from a grey market vendor abroad...but at a fraction of the price! BTW, mysteriously most of the top flite Benz cartridges continue to be very available from a vendor in China who seems to have cornered the market?? What’s up with this??

I can go on and about this journey, as I have just began to scratch the top of the heap in this story, but let’s hear from you guys as to your experiences and thoughts.... Was your top flite  cartridge acquisition an equal nightmare, or was it something else?

128x128daveyf
You guys got me all pumped up to dump several G on a new cart I've never heard.   Giddyup!
@gibsonian   

Yes, it's a wonderful experience, LOL. 

Here's another wonderful cartridge story...and one that the US dealers can use for their case. A friend decided to buy a Benz LPS MR from the guy in China ( Good price). He gets it delivered ( yes, that's a good sign) and mounts it on his expensive rig. Shortly after he notices that the cantilever is missing??? So, the cartridge has destroyed one of his LP's and now is damaged. What to do?? No US warranty service or assistance, the factory is not interested ( or no longer in biz...depending on who you speak to) and the dealer in China...isn't an authorized dealer either...so in the bin the cart goes. ( Yes, I suppose Lindemann could rebuild it, but at what expense and so on!) Which is why IMO, buying grey market is such a very dubious option. 
As you say, gibsonian, Giddyup! 
If I owned a restaurant, I would say please don’t come to my restaurant. I cannot guarantee you will like the food. After you chew on it, I cannot take it back.

Do you really think it makes sense for a US audio dealer to lend out very expensive cartridges for customers to try in their home systems? how do you think that would work out for the dealer? I cannot feel sorry for you. I especially cannot feel sorry for your friend who bought a Benz cartridge from China, for god’s sake. China!

"SERENDIPITY"; that's my word for the day. It's when you fall down a hill, break your arm, but discover a pot of gold where you fell.

I started with a Grado Platinum, traded up to a Grado Sonata, and immediately broke the stylus, on the brand new cartridge. Left with the option of no cartridge, start that crazy search, or trade up to the Grado Master 2; the choice was a "no brainer"; the broke Sonata was in the mail with a note requesting the Master 2.

Years ago, I heard a Koetsu cause Carmen McRae to appear live in the room; since then I have desired a Koetsu, but the Grado Master 2, is the limit of my budget.

Recently I've discovered I might be where I want to be and don't know it. I have to put on some of Carmen's records, and jog my memory as best I can.

I just left my listening room where I jogged my memory, comparing the Koetsu to my Grado. (don't specifically remember which model Koetsu, but not the most expensive)

First and foremost, you have to consider that the Koetsu was in a "high end salon", and it don't get no better than that; I watched those guys take hours to make minor adjustments.

Carmen was just as present in my listening room as in that high end salon; the difference was that the salon was more "holographic", Carmen was projected farther out into the room.

As I stated, that was in a high end salon, with a lot more than a Koetsu cartridge involved.

Since the major difference could be attributed to the high end salon, and even then, my listening room is a satisfactory second; the direct comparison of Carmen's vocals, are equally present in both cases.

The bottom line for me, is that after reading the posts on this thread, I am no longer lusting for a Koetsu.

(below is a post from another thread)

Well, I have actually owned both, in fact, I own both now, but the Black needs a retipping.

I have the previous version of the Statement (the 2.5k one not the 3k one) and I will say that it actually sounds in the same realm as the Koetsu house sound, it is closer to that house sound than lower Grados. The Koetsu, being an MC, has a lovely midrange but its highs are sometimes etched out, not as natural as they should be (higher models of Koetsus improve this as well as providing more extension).

The Grado has a sublime midrange and a top end that is never harsh, but is extended. The bass is generous and tight, never out of proportion with the other frequencies.

I don't have much experience with carts, but from what I have heard the Grado is the best. It is also the most expensive I've had in my setup, 1k more than the Black.

Price isn't everything but if I were to have 1600 and I could buy the Statement or the Black, I would go Statement.

@lewm last time I looked, one isn’t asked to spend thousands of dollars at a restaurant. Therefore, your analogy falls down.

Does it make sense for a dealer to lend very expensive cartridges for audition. Yes and No. The dealer who ended up with my business did exactly that...he let me try the cartridge with a short turn around and a full return policy if I didn’t like it. Essentially this sealed the deal for me..and allowed him to make the sale.
Does it make sense to do this...it doesn’t if people are going to take advantage of that option, it sure does if the dealer can sell the returned cartridge as a demo unit or is willing to take the risk, knowing how serious the customer is,...some will, most won’t.
Personally, I think something like what tangramca’s suggestion makes good sense. Otherwise, someone has to take the risk, and why should it always be the consumer?