Preamps better than Parasound JC-2 ?

Hello,
I am looking to try out the active preamp route in my system. The TVC has served me very well. But when I want to play my wife's iPod or try to connect a Logitech bluetooth adaptor, there is simply not enough gain in my system.
Since I have a Parasound A-21, I am naturally looking to a JC-2 from Parasound. I was wondering if anyone on this forum as come across a killer (non-tube) preamp that is in the same price range, that can beat the JC-2. If the sound quality of the recommended preamp equals that of JC-2 and the cost is below JC-2, that would be preferred. I am eying the Oppo 105D or the newly released Yamaha CD-S2100 as my future source upgrade. Rest of my system is listed on this site.
I have not visited audio stores in more than 3 years, nor have I been to any trade shows, hence asking for feedback.

Thanks!
128x128milpai
So I am assuming that it uses 2 x 6SN7GT and 2 x 12AU7 tubes?
Yes. It also has a fully balanced circuit internally.
tweak1, I've been running an AA for about 9 months now and love it. I use it as a DAC (not a preamp) with the optional power supply. Liked it so much I also bought their phono amp. It's all Very natural & open. 
Folks,After a couple of years of search, I have landed with the Rhumba 1.3. All I can say is - I love what this preamp is doing in my system. I am glad that I did not loose the "transparency" of my system. At the same time it added some dynamics that I love. While I never missed the "remote volume control" in the past 9 years, it is really nice to have that remote handy.