Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT Setup Questions

I just purchased a used set of Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT speakers that will be delivered in a week or so. I am going to be doing the setup myself (help of my brother also). The Vandy Quatro / CT manual has very good detail and I am reading, preparing and starting to really understand the process. 

Vandersteen recommends using natural instrument Jazz recordings because they say these offer the most realistic and accurate sonic reproductions. They even recommend using Ray Brown Soular Energy. Can anyone recommend any other similar reference recordings?

Does anyone have any general recommendations and tips for Vandy speaker setup? Any suggestions are appreciated, thank you.

pilrem
you are wrong tomic601...  I wrote my suggestion for those without 7's.  My words are suggestions, not demands.  Everyone here should buy 7's so they can avail themselves of the laser as you describe.  For those that will not, they can read my words and act or not. 
Some notes on the Master process. The setup took about 4 hours.

First off my system components FWIW. VPI Aries 3 - Single Flywheel Motor - Peripheral Ring - Super Plater - SDS - Balanced Output. Lyra Delos. ARC PH-8 Phono Pre. ARC LS-27 Pre. ARC Ref-110 with KT-120. Rega Saturn DC. AQ Niagara 1000 Power Strip. AQ WEL Signature Power Cable wall to Niagara 1000. AQ NRG 10 Power Cable Niagara to components. AQ NRG-2 Niagara to Quatro subs. AQ Water & Niagara Balanced IC.

Step 1 - Remove spikes and place speakers onto furniture slides
Step 2 - Zero all 11 sub EQ channels
Step 3 - Leave the subs powered on when positioning the speakers. Jon wanted to "energize" the room while seeking placement. "the speakers need to work with the room"
Step 4 - Play cd Rob Wasserman & Jennifer Warnes Duets - Ballad of the runaway horse. Very loud (61 on the LS-27) to energize the room.
Step 5 - Starting with speakers very close to rear wall and very wide apart... Hours of successive approximations finding the proper location and toe in while replaying track over and over. Listening, small and fussy adjustments, more listening, small and fussy adjustments - all by ear.
Step 6 - When the final location was reached, Remove furniture slides and insert speaker spikes.
Step 7 - Set speaker tilt. "listen to Jennifer’s voice" - and that placement needed to be recreated. I was told that Jennifer was standing when this song was recorded. As tilt was adjusted, Jennifer’s voice raised from low between the speakers to about 5 ft above the floor, pinpoint, right there so it felt as if you could grab it. "This is the final of setting a 3D sound stage I was told.
Step 8 - Set the Bass EQ similar to the procedure in the manual however the lowest setting was left at zero and ignored.

The speakers are now much wider apart and closer to the rear wall, more toe-in.

On to test listening via vinyl. Gomez - Bring it on. Original pressing. Get Miles, Who’s gonna go the bar, etc.

Notes on the sound compared to the old placement (carefully using the instructions in the Quatro CT manual). My system seems to play louder and more dynamic at the same volume level with the new placement. Louder may not be the right word, perhaps more immediate? Bass is the best I have heard; level through all bands. Dynamics are way up. I wasn’t expecting this. I thought that soundstage and imaging were the only things that would be effected but the overall sound is even more natural, extended, dynamic and as good as I could ever hope for in my room. The 3D soundstage is giant and the speakers have finally completely disappeared. Stable imaging and instrument/voice placement. Very emotionally involving.

Point of clarification: the 7 do not come with a laser jig, that is part of the dealer kit for setting up the 7

A Leica Disto ( or similar ) should help you document exactly where the speakers and your chair should be.... my blue tape on the floor never seems to survive long....