Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT Setup Questions

I just purchased a used set of Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT speakers that will be delivered in a week or so. I am going to be doing the setup myself (help of my brother also). The Vandy Quatro / CT manual has very good detail and I am reading, preparing and starting to really understand the process. 

Vandersteen recommends using natural instrument Jazz recordings because they say these offer the most realistic and accurate sonic reproductions. They even recommend using Ray Brown Soular Energy. Can anyone recommend any other similar reference recordings?

Does anyone have any general recommendations and tips for Vandy speaker setup? Any suggestions are appreciated, thank you.

pilrem
That is great to hear. I probably should have John Rutan set up my Treo's. (But, I hate to have him see my placement- there is only one place for them in my room).
Bob
pilrem,

Good choice on selecting Jonathon Spelt for your set up! When I lived in Wisconsin I bought my Treo Ct's from him. His store auditions were impeccably set up and is what convinced me to buy from him. Love my Treo's and also have a Vandy 2Wq sub. Couldn't be happier, unless I got a pair of Quattro Ct's!!!
wow cool
can you point out a few differences ?
the laser jig helps setup the 7
so i have worked out some of that math and use a laser when setting up the 5a , Q and Treo for toe in. I use the manual chart for tilt. Obviously music is the ultimate test
i do get the listeners chair away from wall effect.

so glad you are enjoying them !!!!!!!
You don’t need a master jig...only a pen laser you can get cheaply on line. Here’s how to do it... You need the laser pen, a post-it, and a pen. For one speaker, click on the laser, put it on the flat top of your speaker. I have Vandersteen 5A’s so I take the black shroud off. With the laser on top of the speaker, with the laser pointing at the wall in back of your listening position, rotate/spin the laser left/right for the red dot to be in the rear of your listening position. Put the post-it on the wall and put a pen mark on that laser spot which is now on the post-it. Do the very same thing as above but with the other speaker. One speaker’s laser will be slightly higher or lower than the original dot. Be careful that the laser pen doesn’t roll while doing this setup - if it rolls, it doesn’t accurately point to the same spot on the wall. Adjust either speaker - up/down so that the laser dot is right on top of the mark for both speakers. That sets up the height so that they are now level to each other...big difference in sound. The sound is now much more focused and halographic. The laser is not for toe in adjustment...use your ears for the sound you like best. I adjust mine so that the soloist is in the middle of the 2 speakers....just hanging there.....not spread out. The singers mouth has to be right there, and no more. I found that carpet right in front of the speakers reduces the 1st reflection point for a more stable image. Good luck - its fun to dial these guys in.  I don't mean to spoil your pleasure, but I would look askance at a setup that doesn't follow the Vandersteen model.  No one knows as much as the Richard himself (maybe John Rutan of AudioConnection in New Jersey.)..just one thing more.....   If all the adjustments are in their mid position, you very nearly have perfection for the vast majority of rooms.
 you have 5a not 7, i have owned both, spend an extra buck and get the laser with a flat base, the jig is for the 7 and adjusts toe in also, 

you are wrong @stringreen