Kandace Springs - Indigo, the long awaited sequel to Soul Eyes

Oh well, the title of this OP is misleading as Indigo would not be considered a sequel.  This is Springs carving out a style to set herself apart.  Let's face it there is a rich stable of young female songstresses.  Krall, Jones, Souza, Mardot and numerous others are well known to many.

I first learned of Kandace thanks to an Audiogoner.  Thanks again!  I've had her first offering, "Soul Eyes" on CD for months and I don't think I've yet to place it in the CD rack.  I just keep wanting to listen to it.  Soul Eyes has a "sound" not unlike most of the aforementioned ladies.  Indigo is stylistically more diverse.  In that sense it is interesting for its production values.  The engineering of each song has its own sound.  Some cuts have a healthy and effective use of reverb where others are more matter of fact and dry.  

Instincts are one quality that most successful people follow to positive outcomes.  "Soul Eyes" is great for the bluesy jazz album that it is with very tastefully written melodies and mature lyrics.  "Indigo" is a collection of songs of very different musical styles and they all seem to work.  Good instincts!  The song "Love Sucks" starts off with an instrumental sound like the famous dance scene from "Pulp Fiction" with Travolta and Thurman dancing at Jack Rabbit Slims.  Fun stuff.  Kandace has musical flex. Roberta Flacks iconic "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" is performed as straight as an arrow.  No pretense.  She just sings it beautifully not trying to recreate it, but rather to honor it.

I'm gonna keep loving "Soul Eyes" but "Indigo" is sticking around and will be in residence on my turntable for a while as I continue to appreciate it fully.

Lest I forget, both albums on Blue Note are lovingly recorded.  "Soul Eyes" is a bit thicker sounding instrumentally whereas "Indigo" is more open and sparser.  Again, both work.  Enjoy!
128x128hifiman5
Post removed 
@mac48025.   I just ordered the Imelda May album on Amazon.  Good tunes arriving on Saturday!

Thanks!
I read this yesterday at work. Went home and listened to both Kandance Springs and Melody Gardot. I can only say thanks for the tip, wow!!
Nice hifiman5! I think you'll really enjoy Imelda. Her other albums are more rock, this one is a departure from her other stuff. Btw, I too have every Gardot album......great stuff. 

I like both of Kandaces albums but think I like Indigo a bit better because it's not as it's not quite as mainstream. It's all good though as any song she sings is good by me. 
Post removed